Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You would think that living in San Diego there would be endless options for schooling your children. I had always planned on homeschooling my kids. Now as my first child reaches school age, I am having second thoughts. She is such an active child and she does not thrive in an unstructured environment. I would like to put her in a school that is only 2-3 d/wk and homeschools the other days. I can only find one school and it is an hour away, with no traffic. There is private school - not an option, reg. public school, or homeschool programs that offer 1 day of classes. Am I being picky? I can't find one source for info on any of these schools. I have put hours of time in on the computer and on the phone calling schools and inquiring about their programs. Does anyone know of a comprehensive resource for finding out about schooling options? Like maybe a state website where anyone who is credentialed would be listed? Any help would be appreciated, I am starting to have panic attacks about this.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
I am not sure about the options you are describing, but I did want to offer that I am aware of several people in different parts of the country that were able to work out an arrangement with their public school where they would keep their child home one or two days a week for homeschooling. The school would want a set pattern, not something different every week, but in many cases they were quite adaptive. Since homeschooling is gaining in notoriety, the schools realize they need to be flexible about this.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I'm in San Diego too. My child did full-time, full day K at a private school, so I don't have any direct resources for you. But I have seen lots and lots of ads for homeschool "academies" that also offer some classroom options and enrichment options. I'm assuming you have already investigated these, but the listings I've seen have all been in San Diego Family magazine -- its a freebie that I pick up around town.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Go to <a href="http://www.greatschools.net" target="_blank">www.greatschools.net</a> and search for all the schools you are researching. I found this site very useful when choosing a school for my dd. They have parent reviews and test scores, demographics, and the teachers or principal sometimes will say something, too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have done most of these things already, although I haven't asked the public schools if only sending her 3x/wk would be an option. That's a great idea, the worst they can say is no. There are a lot of great homeschool options in town, but so far all that I've found only offer 1 day of classroom instruction. That may have to be it. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts