Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend recommended NT last January, and we had goats in our backyard by March. We had so much goat milk all summer that I was overwhelmed. My 5 year old complained about the taste of goat milk and wanted (and still wants) her pasteurized cow milk back. Cheese making was time consuming and never really successful. We got rid of the goats after a routine blood test showed that the doe had been exposed to toxoplasmosis. I never developed a taste for kefir, and my grains never grew anyway. My husband doesn't like beef roast - never has and probably never will. I have had some coconut oil in my pantry for 6 months and still have not figured out what to do with it.
:

Despite all of this, I am still committed to getting more traditional foods into our diet. I just don't know how or where to start... again. I have been reading some of your posts here, and I am realizing how little I know. I have Nourishing Traditions on my shelf, but I think I need more help than that. We are picking up a 1/4 beef this weekend, so that is something.

This is partly a vent but also a serious request for advice and support.
:

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
wow, I think you came to the right place. There is a lot of knowledge here to glean. It also sounds like you dived in pretty quick and made some radical diet and lifestyle changes. Some people can do that, and while it felt pretty radical, I still couldn't make all the changes at once.

So, are you still following the diet now? What kind of meals are you making that you family does like? Does your dh not like beef in general or is it just roast beef? There are lots of options out there. I am amazed at how easy it is to modify some of our favorites so that I am not having to introduce completely new things--only modified things.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Also remember that WAP came across very different cultures with very different diets. Some had lots of dairy, some none. So you CAN have a traditional diet without the dairy. Now, if you had goats, could you have a cow? My kids love the cow milk and have never noticed a difference in the taste between raw and pasteurized cow's milk.

We very rarely have roast beef here, so I know that's not a necessity! I have a source of pastured chickens, so I do those often. And I have source of beef bones, so I make broth often. I agree you need to take your current menus and lifestyle and slowly modify them. It'll be easier on your family AND YOU!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Start with what you like to eat and improve it.

What do you like to eat?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Like pp's have stated making small changes is less overwhelming. My first change was just drinking kefir, then little by little I began to add other changes to my diet. Don't give up, just make every step manageable.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I agree, just make what you normally would make , just make it "better" *spagetti sauce from scratch with pastured beef and lots of veggies. Either over cooked cabbage ( our fav), spagetti squash or brown rice pasta.
*Chickensoup with pastured chicken, lots of veggie and brown rice or potato
*chili with home soaked beans and more pastured beef
* posole ( that's what we are eating tonight) with pastured pork

Maybe start with one meal a day and then work your way up? Maybe start with breakfast. Getting in a good breakfast is cheap and easy and will leave you with more energy to take on lunch

Good luck, we have all been there...I still remember having my entire kitchen counter full with bottles of different fermented veggies and NO ONE in the family would even take a bite, and then my husband asked me how much I had actually spent on them....
(and I personally never liked them myself...now however, the fermented veggies I make are a hit and the whole family eats them...)

Tanya

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here's some great advice (copied earlier from a thread, but sorry don't remember who said it...)
- While we are mostly NT now, it's been a slow transition and we didn't do it overnight, so if you're just starting out, don't get discouraged. I found what worked for me was making one small change at a time so as not to overwhelm myself or my family. What Hibou said about incorporating things gradually is soooooo true. I'm definitely not in bondage to the stuff I do. Moves, new babys, etc. always puts a hiccup in my schedule, sometimes for longer than I'd like, but things eventually get to "normal" and we pick back up.

And, also, these threads are great too:

What brought you to traditional foods?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=541554&page=2

Top ten MOST important NT foods?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=557840

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Just start with one or two things, and go from there. I've found the easiest way for me to get my family to eat traditional foods is to improve the foods we most like to eat. We switched from kraft-type cheeses to raw mild cheddar cheese. From conventional butter to raw butter. From rice milk to whole, raw milk and cream. I asked for an ice-cream maker for Christmas, and started using it to make low-sugar raw cream ice-cream. Cook in coconut oil instead of olive oil. Having good quality eggs and meats available is helpful, too.

Breads were the hardest because Dh doesn't really care for sprouted grain breads. I started using sourdough instead, which the kids didn't like. I kept trying different brands until we found one that we like.

Try things in small amounts so that you don't waste money. If your family is really resistant, just try one new thing every week or so. Take your time. Just getting the junk (corn syrup, hydrogenated fats, sugars, refined flours, etc.) out of your diet is a big improvement. Work from there to a more TF-type diet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We are very fortunate to be able to buy raw milk and cream from a farmer willing to make deliveries nearby. He also supplies pastured eggs, chicken and meat. It took about a year to find him, and it was through word of mouth.

For coconut oil, I really like it in scrambled eggs, delicious!
Try starting out slow, taking baby steps.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I got asked this a whole lot because I run several e-mail loops. So I put up a FAQ on my website. I prefer to help people ocnvert their own recipes because it's more familiar to the family. The first thing I change is the sweetener, then the fat. Once that is done, I change the cooking vessel and replace any packaged or processed products (recipes to help are on my website). Finally, I change the flour and dairy types if needed, then soak the flour and add extra fat, dairy or vegetables if needed. I also have a list of easy changes to make on the FAQ, like switching to pastured or organic, finding quality eggs, and the like.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for all of your replies!!! I guess I just needed some encouragement.

Yes, I did jump in a little too quickly, and it backfired. We are still getting some raw goat milk. A friend of mine has arranged to have some shipped overnight from a dairy a few hours away. Seems like a lot of trouble just for some milk, but I think it will work. And I have convinced my daughter to let me put a tiny drop of goat milk into her pasteurized cow milk. Literally, a drop. But it is a start. And if I put enough honey in it, she will also eat my fresh goat milk yogurt. I have to learn to see these events as small victories, rather than defeats. I have to focus on the *good* things going into her, rather than the bad things.

No, we don't have enough room for a cow. I wish we did! We only have 3/4 of an acre - just barely enough for the two goats. As much as I loved having the goats, they were a *lot* of work.

My husband simply doesn't like a piece of meat on his plate. He doesn't like chewing it. Neither does my daughter. They will be much more receptive to soups and stews.

KerryAnn... wow. I have bookmarked your site!

Thanks again, everyone!!

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Shakti, I make our yogurt. My Dc won't eat it plain, so I always add some honey, and usually some fruit (bananas, berries, etc.). I figure it's better for them to at least be eating it this way than not at all. They've gone from not drinking any milk *at all* to asking for raw milk in a cup. It's taken more than a year. When I went back to eating meat, I did lots of soups and stews, as it made the texture issue easier for me to handle. Just take small steps, and know that every little thing helps. It won't happen overnight, probably not even in a year. But you will make progress, and a year from now, you'll be surprised at how much you've been able to change.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And, just thought of one more thing which helped me get started slowly (but still eating lots of good NT things)...

I buy as much as possible (until later gradually making more myself) - like broths prepared the right way (if have store nearby that makes it), lacto-ferm. veg., raw cow milk / cultured butter/ cream / yogurt / kefir, french meadow sourdough or Ezeikel bread, etc.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Di View Post
And, just thought of one more thing which helped me get started slowly (but still eating lots of good NT things)...

I buy as much as possible (until later gradually making more myself) - like broths prepared the right way (if have store nearby that makes it), lacto-ferm. veg., raw cow milk / cultured butter/ cream / yogurt / kefir, french meadow sourdough or Ezeikel bread, etc.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

Thats exactly how I started with NT. I bought kefir from the hfs (still do), and also purchased the sprouted breads and other NT items. When I started to eat more traditionally I thought that it would be so hard to do it. And true there are times when I don't get around to doing my stock or fermenting veggies, but I just try to do the best I can everyday to eat right. It isn't always easy, but I try not to feel guilty if I have to buy something instead of make it
: . Focusing on the changes that you are making is a great way to keep the momentum going. I know I'm definitely still finding my way
. Take care, Nikki

1 - 14 of 14 Posts