Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get my dog to quit scratching at the door?

We just had the doors replaced this summer, and she's already destroyed the seal around the one she can get to (the other is 4 feet off the ground, haven't replaced the deck yet). She can tell when I'm on the other side of the door, and she won't scratch if she can see me. Or if the curtain is open, for some reason. But she scratches within 2 minutes of being let outside, and often before she goes out to do her business.

She is an 8 year old English Springer Spaniel, and she is getting lots of people time, lots of kid time, and lots of outdoor running time.

We have used a training collar in the past with good success (ended up hanging it off the door handle because the noise was all she needed for correction), but she ran that one through a puddle and it hasn't worked in at least 2 years. At this point, though, since she's ruined a seal that we need to have, on an expensive door, I'm seriously contemplating getting another collar.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds like she doesn't want to be out there alone. Can you go out with her when she goes to the bathroom and to play?? I think there was a thread similar to this not too long ago about a Great Dane that was throwing itself against the backdoor because it had been left outside without it's pack.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
Try hanging sleigh bells from the door or similar. If she has an acceptable signal that brings you to the door, she'll quickly learn to do that instead of scratch.
That's what we did, though the bells are tied next to the door on the radiator so we can hear them when we're upstairs too. My dog just hits the bells with her snout to let us know she needs to go out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.