Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 2.5 year old refused (like screamed for 10 minutes) his diaper a week ago. I reminded him for a couple of days, and he did great. A few days later, he didn't need reminding, but was running to the bathroom himself. Rock on!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Over the weekend, it all fell through. Accidents all over the place, never going without being reminded. This is still happening today. He doesn't seem to care that he has underwear on, and will very contentedly and happily go in them, sometimes telling me he went and sometimes not. If I remind him (each hour or so), he happily and contentedly goes on the toilet. He will not wear a diaper, though - I've asked, he's noticed them, but doesn't want them on.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't want him to give up if he wants to be out of diapers, but I'm pretty sick of changing him zillions of times a day as though he were in diapers. (This is happening in underwear, in underwear and pants, inside, outside, whatever, wherever.) Any thoughts?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anne</p>
<p>Joel (4) & Asher (2)</p>

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
<p>Ds has been pretty solidly trained for 3 months now. If he doesn't ask I bring him to the toilet every 2 hours without fail. I very rarely ask him if he needs to go ('cause he'll usually say no) but do still remind him often to tell mommy if he needs to go.</p>

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thank you. :) Every day and every moment brings different levels of awareness for us. Yesterday, right after I posted this, we had a smooth and perfect afternoon. Today we had a smooth and perfect morning and early afternoon, followed by an accident and (15 minutes later) a poop accident. *sigh* I'm trying to be encouraging and to not let him see that I'm frustrated.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I greatly look forward to a few months from now when my experience mirrors your post. I know it will come, it's just frustrating in the thick of it.</p>

·
Registered
159 Posts
<p>My experience as a daycare provider is that most children don't tell you they need to go (or sometimes even realize they have to go in time to get to the bathroom and pull their pants down) until age three or three-and-a-half, and they'll say "no" if you ask them if they have to go.  However, if you just take them to the potty every hour or so, they will go every time and not have many accidents.  Certainly take them about 20 minutes after each meal/drink.  Good luck!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts