Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-posted in allergies<br><br>
DS 21 months has an appt. tomorrow due to suspected FTT. He is about 16 lbs. and has gained almost no weight since 15 months.<br><br>
He was dx with reflux at 3 weeks--classic symptoms--persistent vomiting, gulping, mucousy diarrhea. I went GF and DF, but it didn't seem to help. We put him on Zantac, and symptoms improved but did not go away. Improvement began around 12 weeks and by 16 weeks we were off the Zantac and his continued to slowly improve. His weight gain was fine until about 9 months, when it slowed. He went from steady 5th percentile to off the chart by 12 months, further off the chart at 15 months, and so on.<br><br>
His current GI issues are minimal. No more diarrhea or vomiting, though he sometimes gets that red sunburn looking mark around his anus (I've read here that that's a sign of allergy). And he avoids many foods and never eats much at a sitting. Mealtime is rough. He demands many different things and then refuses to eat them. He is still BF and asks to nurse a few times a day as well as several times at night.<br><br>
He sleeps terribly. He wakes up screaming from his one 45 min. nap each day, and demands to nurse immediately when he wakes up. At night he wakes every 45min. to every hour and a half, and wants to nurse. He seems sensitive to touch--he wakes if he touches a blanket or guardrail on the bed, or anything else. He complains about warm water being too hot, and every few days he complains that his fingers hurt.<br><br>
We have a family history of eczema and allergies, so I think we should probably look at that as a possible cause of his issues. Any advice on what I should ask for at his dr. appt? RAST? Skin testing? Does this even sound like it could be allergy-related to you? Am I barking up the wrong tree?? I also wonder about sensory issues...<br><br>
Thanks in advance--<br><br>
Jane

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No--I remained mostly dairy-free until he was 9 months, and we introduced dairy into his diet at 12 months (he was 9months when we started solids). I only did gluten-free until he was 3 months old. At that time, we were having his twin sisters, who are 4, tested for celiac and food allergies, and our ped. wanted everyone back on a "normal diet" so any gluten issues would show up. Their results were negative, except one had a very low positive for crab and shrimp. I was surprised because the girls seem to react to too much dairy with diarrhea, throw up when they eat tomatoes, and one gets a rash around her mouth when she eats mayonnaise, yet none of these showed up on their RAST.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Others would know more than me, but if I were you, I would have the whole family go on the Specific Carbohydrate diet. There are lots of posts about this on mothering, and I believe there is a website.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You may want to try eliminating gluten (and possible casein, too) for him again--FTT and sleep issues are really common symptoms of gluten intolerance. Food allergy tests are notoriously inaccurate for kids under 4, and only around 70% (IIRC) accurate for the rest of us. Really elimination diets are the best way to determine food allergies. IMO, if your DDs seem to react to dairy or tomatoes, you should at least eliminate them for a while to see how they do, regardless of how their allergy testing came out (if you don't already do this).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caedmyn--<br><br>
Thank you. Everything I'm reading is pointing to gluten and dairy as culprits. I was really thrown by the girls' testing negative--but now I'm thinking I shouldn't be taking their results so seriously. I did decide to eliminate tomatoes and mayonnaise, but I think it's time to go further.<br><br>
My pediatrician is pretty mainstream, and I think he will order the same set of tests for my son. I'm just afraid that if they come back negative he'll want him on pediasure and all that crap and we'll not get to the root of the problem. I can also imagine how I'll hear that breastfeeding him is causing him to reject other foods/wake up at night, etc.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I 2nd going off gluten. My DS was almost FTT and not gaining weight due to gluten...I went off and he started gaining. He also was a terrible sleeper until then. I think maybe his tummy was hurting and he couldn't tell me. The SCD diet is a good idea, too. If you don't do that, I would suggest a 4 day rotation diet which will give you a better idea what he's reacting to. Honestly, I don't think allergy tests reveal all that much and you are a better judge of how something affects your child. Even the celiac testing is not that reliable unless you do an intestine biopsy (and who wants to do that to their child?). A good book on allergies is Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp. It's LONG, but eye-opening.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
You can find another Ped, they are out there. We are seeing a fellow of the AAEM which is more holistic with respect to environmental issues and allergies.<br><br>
My DS was never FTT until he stopped growing when weaned at 26 mos. Massive sleep issues, and many sensory issues. Has to do with neurotransmitters being produced in gut as well as amino acids and fats to fuel nervous system. Found out he was allergic to 25 foods, and dairy was not one of them. Wheat is one of the lesser ones.<br><br>
Although his issues stemmed from not getting proper intestinal flora (also in your case: reflux and mucousy diarrhea big indicator of that) the SCD did not help him.<br><br>
A 4 day rotation diet is helping a great deal, in addition to bifidobacterium supplements. The SCD is all wrong on bifidus with respect to children. Their flora is not like an adults until age 7.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Oh and eczema and allergies are not genetic, it needs environmental causes for the genes to be "turned on".<br><br>
You might learn a lot from reading parents forums in the autism community, I sure did. Sensory, sleeping and gut issues abound there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your insight--I really appreciate it.<br><br>
He had his appointment yesterday and had gained 1.5lbs and grown 1/2 inch in 4 months. So...the doctor did not want to do blood testing. He says DS doesn't show signs of celiac because his stool is mostly normal and he finally gained some weight. He also did not want to do any allergy testing yet because of the RAST's unreliability for people so young.<br><br>
Instead, he diagnosed him with SID and wants to approach from that angle. His logic was that until we get the food into him, we can't really tell how it's going to affect him. He thinks DS's sensory issues are mild enough that we can work with him at home (I have some background in working with autistic and SID kids) for now and hold off on OT and feeding therapy.<br><br>
I'm just not totally convinced--when I look at my kids' as a group--they all have GI issues. My oldest DS used to get stomachaches and diarrhea after milk or ice cream, now he gets heartburn and/or bad gas pains a couple of times a week, and he has eczema; my twins get diarrhea once a week or so, plus vomiting about every other month; and even DH has GI issues, plus horrible eczema. And everywhere I read/ask about it--celiac and/or dairy allergies seem to be suggested.<br><br>
JaneS--I did not know that allergies and eczema are not genetic--I have so much learning to do still. And I will definitely read up on the sensory/autism stuff--thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You may want to check out the monthly "Healing the Gut Tribe" thread as well as the "Healing the Gut Cheat Sheet" sticked at the top of this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts