Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loving the recipes in this book
but... I'm also 33 weeks preggo and this particular recipe has licorice root in it which is a no-no herb during pregnancy because of it's contraction causeing properties. I'm assuming that even when it is fermented the licorice will still be a problem? I'm just not sure and the sassafrass root I ordered that is sitting on my counter smells SOOOO good.

Deb

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hello,

I doubt that fermenting the licorice would change the properties of it, but I just wanted to say that I took alot of licorice root during my last pregnancy, due to its adrenal supporting properties, since my adrenals are weak, and had no problems with contractions. I wonder just how much licorice root one would have to take before contractions were increased? I actually read that it was contraindicted during pregnancy because of its blood pressure raising properties and haven't until recently heard that it is supposed to cause contractions.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's only 1 tablespoon of it in the whole 1/2 gallon recipe so I'm thinking it should be fine. I can always try it and if it does cause problems stop, right?!?

Deb

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If your bp isn't low, I would be hesitant to use unprocessed licorice. It can have dramatic effects on bp. Much of the licorice you may purchase (even from the hfs) has be de-glycyrrhizined which means that the chemical which increases bp has been removed. I would think it would be fine to use it in that case.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm usually around 100/70 so it's not high. I got my licorice from Mountain Rose Herbs and it doesn't say anything about being de-glycyrrhizined.

Deb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts