Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I've decided to at least partially nightwean my dd, who is 16 mo. I'd really like to nurse her for a long time, but I don't think I'll make it if I have to keep nursing her all night long, every night. Nursing has come to feel like an intolerable responsibility, and I <strong>hate</strong> feeling that way about it. My lack of sleep is starting to affect my work, and has drastically altered my mood — I'm snappy, oversensitive, and sad. So it's time to set some boundaries. Three nights ago we disassembled the family bed and moved the twin mattress to the other side of the room and put a bed rail on it. She seems to be fine with having her own bed, though probably b/c I am in it with her most of the night — this set-up is even worse for me. So I'm thinking that nightweaning has to go along with the separate bed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Whereas I was first considering just setting a window for no nursing (like 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.) now I'm not so sure. I feel like it may be confusing to her, though she is very sharp and understands a lot. But I'm hesitant to enforce a 10-12 hour no nursing window. I work outside the home 20-30 hrs a week and that transition, which began when she was around 11 months old, made her a reverse-cycler: she'll often go 6-10 hours without nursing during the day, even days when I'm with her all day long. So then she nurses all night. If I don't nurse her at night, I'm afraid she'll wean completely, and I'm not ready for that. Or is it more likely that she'll just nurse more during the day again, since she doesn't at night?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yesterday she didn't nurse all day, adamantly refusing when I offered it to her. She was up before 7 and didn't nurse until bedtime at 7. And tonight, when we went upstairs for bed, she got right in her new bed and said night-night. I nursed her for about 15 minutes and then she popped herself off and laid next to me, babbling away until she was out. She's done that several times over the past couple months, so I know she can fall asleep without nursing. Maybe she's just ready to be done? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry, I'm all over the place here... I think I have some really mixed emotions about weaning. I'm afraid I'll lose her somehow once she's not nursing. And while, rationally, I know boundaries are healthy, I'm so afraid she'll think I'm pushing her away by setting them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>TIA</p>

·
Registered
381 Posts
<p>I have partially nightweaned my 14 mo old. I WOH too and I just couldn't nurse him every 2 hrs and function the next day. I decided that I could live with 1-2 nursings at night, the first no earlier than midnight and the second no sooner than 3 hrs after the first. It took lots of snuggles and cuddles and a little bit of tears, but he got it. Now, he goes down at 7pm and wakes anywhere from 2:45 to 5am to nurse and then goes back to sleep until 6 or 7am.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts