Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas for fun things to do that are completly free?

We rent movies thru the redbox using codes online, and get them for free, one at a time of course

and we have been driving thru the large light display at the park and visiting santa.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Does your library offer passes to local museums? Ours does, and we've been able to go to zoos, museums, and other fun things completely free.

You have to get a library card (free) and reserve the museum pass for specific days, and return that evening.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
We are all about free here. LOL
We take advantage of ALL special offers, like free Tuesdays at the arboretum or free first Weds of the month at Health Adventure. ( Kids museum) Also, during baseball season, we keep track of the special days where you get free admittance for a can of non perishables and stuff like that. I usually just look at their websites with a fine tooth comb, everyone always has special days.

We rent movies and music from the library every week too. That really, really, helps.

We also go for Sunday drives, a lot of times we find treasures sitting by the road for pick up, but this time of year its for the lights too!... picnics, hikes, we take a lot of pictures of ourselves, we play board games, throw parties at our house ( hey, its free if you just whip something up that you have and ask everyone to bring something they already have too!)

Yada, Yada. LOL Did you want stuff to do outside or inside the house? I always prefer to avoid cleaning, so I always try to go somewhere. LMAO

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old too and I'm ALL about fun and free.

1. Petsmart or other pet store with actual animals = free zoo

2. Humane Society or animal shelter = free zoo

3. We get museum passes from our library

4. We have a map of the area and ANy green space on that map is worth exploring. Parks, hiking areas, woods...we search it out and explore it.

5. Horse farms -- ask the owners, maybe they'll let your children come look at the horses

6. Same thing at family-run Dairies (can you tell my children like animals?)

7. Little League and rec department football, soccer or baseball games -- these can be fun to watch and even if you don't watch the entire game your kids will be entertained for a while

8. High School Football games are often dirt cheap ($2-3 range for an adult and your kids get in free)

9. The airport -- if they have an observation tower all the better. My kids love exploring the airport in our town. After we are done with the terminal we park our car at the end of the runways and watch the planes take off right over our heads.

10. Sporting goods stores -- some have tracks in them, tents set up that your kids can play quietly in, basketball hoops, things to play on. Same with Garden Centers.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Our library has some good programs, many of them require that you sign up ahead of time, but they are otherwise free.

Playdates are free, you just need to arrange it ahead of time w/o other moms.

A lot of garden centers have Christmas decorations up right now, my kids love that kind of stuff.

Volunteering your time for a worthy organization. We have an organization that provides toys for needy kids during Christmas. They need help cleaning toys. Your kids can be, "elves" helping to clean toys. My kids are too little to do this, but a friend of mine's homeschool group did this and she said that everyone had a fantastic time.

Doing winter/holiday crafts at home.

Storytime at the bookstore or library.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.