Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas for toddler birthday party food? Here are some ideas I had so far: sandwiches cut into shapes using cookie cutters, mini-pizzas made to look like faces (somehow), fruit, mac & cheese or pasta salad.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My friend did her 2 yo party like this:

Took away all the toys in the house and bought about 15 balls and threw them around, and at the end every child got to take one home. The food was all kinds of pizzas she made with good ingredients, just buying the crusts. There were healthy cookies there (homemade oatmeal raisin sweetened with maple syrup) and cut up mango and blueberries. The cake was a whole wheat carrot cake.

·
Registered
767 Posts
friend of a friend did a layered fruit bowl instead of a cake for a sugar free party. you could add yogurt or some granola and do it parfait style.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I had some not so healthy cake, but I did go all out wiht Organic Juice, whole wheat crackers, and hummus for dipping. I had huge basket of fruit for everyone, who wanted it, bananas, apples, grapes, organes.

I also did ice cream, but most of parents wouldn't let the babies have it LOL.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
My dd's b-day party was a "food challenge" since we had guests with multiple food allergies, ethical and/or religious food restrictions, AND everything still had to appeal to toddlers! (all together we're talking no wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, meat, chocolate, nuts, strawberries, or honey)

We did a lot of different cookies so people could pick the ones that were "okay" for them, we had veggies and hummus for dipping, fruit and a "chocolate" dipping sauce, and baked mac/cheese (one vegan with soy, one with real cheese so all the kids could have the "same" thing). We baked the mac/cheese in extra large muffin tins so we could pop out individual "servings" as necessary...it kept the mess factor down and made serving easy.

Mini pizzas sound fun though...you could make eyes with pepperoni (meat or soya) or sliced olives, the mouth could be sliced red bell pepper, the nose a sliced pepper or other veggie. Yum!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Great ideas! It all sounds good to me. I noticed a recipe for kid-popular rice balls in the current issue of Mothering as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Subbing, my daughter's second birthday and hubby's birthdays are being combined this year, and are early, since we will be moving away from family (cross country) in september

·
Registered
765 Posts
Dipping foods are great. Fruit into yogurt, veggies, pretzels, or crackers into hummus, tortilla chips or veggies into salsa or avacado with a bit of lime juice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We just had a kid frindly party tonight. We made veggie pig in a blanket, mac and cheese muffins (i found using muffin cups helped), tortilla pin wheels (there are tons of variations we did cream cheese in one and almond butter with crushed berries in another) a trail mix of popcorn, pretzels carob chips and little grahm crackers. My husband made a fruit punch with pinapple, cranberry, oj and lime juice. We had veggie burgers pasta salad for the adults. Everything was peanut and dairy free. It was a hit
Oh and our cake was sugar free

Have Fun

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Pita and hummus, veggies and dip, and veggie dogs were the main foods at my son's 2nd bday party. For his 3rd bday, we had saag and sushi. Mmmm. Both years, I baked a vegan, organic strawberry cake (except this year we did cupcakes instead of 1 cake).
With a summer birthday you have better fruit and veggie options, of course. My babes bdays are both in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The most popular food at DS's birthday party was watermelon slices cut into sticks. That's pretty much all the kids ate, other than the cake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.