Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a gloomy rainy day here. DS is entertaining himself with the radio and books, and I am SOOOOO glad he is happy playing by himself for longer stretches these days (he's almost 3).

What do you do with your kid/s on gloomy rainy days?

One of my favorite things to do on days like today is bake, so today we made carrot/banana/nut bread. Yum.

·
Registered
381 Posts
We dance! DS (18 months) has too much energy to do sit-down activites. Although he will color for a few minutes now. We chase each other around the table and throughout the house. We play with building blocks and cars. And get on our head-to-toe rain gear and go for walks and play in puddles.

But I'm going to watch this thread. It's only the beginning of the rainy season here and I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm trying to get a list together but they're region specific. Still, to give you some ideas:

--The first friday of every month a local music school has sing alongs for toddlers
--there is story time at our library Tuesdays and Saturdays (I don't think DS could sit still tho)
--Saturdays is a drop-in toddler drumming class at a local community center (only $5)
--there is a playspace near me, not sure how expensive
--our church has a playgroup (and good indoor space) that meets thursday afternoons

I guess you can see I'm focussing on getting out of the house! That really helps me. I will be subbing to hear what else people do.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
We break out the indoor play tent or make forts from blankets. Then we bring in stuffed animals and books and do a lot of reading. DS carries all kinds of things in and out and in and out of the tent/fort.

For really cold weather (but also OK for rain) we bring a baby pool into the living room or kitchen, dump in a bunch of dry pinto beans, measuring cups, jars, scoops, ladles, little dump trucks, etc, and let DS play in it like a sandbox.

For those who have a garage - we bring a pile of sand from the sandbox into the garage and let DS play on the garage floor.

Paint very large sheets of paper taped to the floor (we use kitchen, garage or basement for this). Washable paint is a must.

Tape a large piece of paper (paper from a roll) onto the floor, draw roads, beach, farm, playground, railroad, etc. and build a new city with legos, blocks, etc. on top. Drive cars through, harvest veggies, bring them to market, stop at the town's doughnut shop for coffee on the way home, too!

We let DS make soup: bowls of water with different colors of food coloring, sometimes a handful of uncooked noodles or rice, measuring cups, ladles, spoons. He will mix them and pur into different bowls and "serve" all on an old towel or two (or three) on the kitchen floor.

Take out every jar of spice, every extract, and cooking ingredient I have, and let DS smell and/or taste all of them (as appropriate).

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I let dd explore all the cabinets. We also "fake cook" with raw noodles, rice, and beans and spices. Then she serves me and all her dolls.

We make a tent over our big bed and have a slumber party in it.

We also dance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts