Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discoverd a great book called Digestive Wellness by Elizabeth Lipski. The book discusses numerous tests that can pinpoint health problems.
With the exception of my baby, I don't think that me and my family have healthy guts. Me and my oldest son have raging enviromental allergies and my husband is always complaing about his stomach. I need to talk to my doctor to find out what may or may not be covered by insurance.

If anyone has had these tests performed I would like to hear if you thought the tests were helpful.

I'm interested in having these tests performed for me and my family.

Comprehensive Digestive & Stool Analysis
Parasitology Testing
Food & Environmental Sensitivity Testing
Leaky Gut Syndrome/Intestinal Permeability Testing
Secretory IgA Testing
Heidelberg Capsule Test
Functional Liver Profile Test
Indican Test
Lactose Intolerance
Hair Analysis
Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth Test

Now the book mentions several labs that perform these tests and I have no idea how to go about selecting a lab. Which labs did any of you use?

Also, did anyone pay out of pocket? If so, how expensive were the tests

·
Registered
437 Posts
i can help a little. i am in the middle of this process. my md hasn't been much help, and i have just started seeing a naturopath. insurance doesn't cover the nd for me.

i had allergy testing which was covered by my insurance - my md referred me to it. i had skin testing (environmental and food) and a rast blood test (foods).

my naturopath had me do a saliva test (i have adrenal/hormonal issues going on too, we think) this cost me $120. i also just did a stool analysis (the cdsa you referred to) it cost me $179. parasitology is another $200 or so and we aren't doing that right now. great smokies is the lab he uses. i don't know if you need a dr to order it or not.

i am excited to get the results of my tests. i think this may be a start in the right direction for me.

good luck. you are on to something - you need to take charge of your health - figure out where you need to go and what you need to do - you can't always trust the drs to figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My doc refuses to approve the testing because she "doesn't believe in it", "doesn't think yeast is bad", and "there is no scientific evidence to support the claims"....

Did anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions on how to get around this?

·
Registered
437 Posts
my regular doc is exactly the same way. he wanted me to take bcp's antidepressants and meds for ibs. uh... ok.... whatever.

i got the results of some of my tests-

the saliva test showed my progesterone and cortisol to be on the very low end of normal. my naturopath has recommended supplements for both. just started so i don't know how it will help.

the thing is - bcp's probably would have regulated my hormones, but wouldn't have fixed the problem, just bandaided it until i got off the pills again. and antidepressants would probably *help* my symptoms too. md's just treat the symptoms. that is what they are trained to do.

suprisingly my stool analysis did not show yeast. i thought for sure that was most of my problem. not sure how i can explain that....

good luck in your journey. you really should try to find an alternative med dr - like a naturopath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.