Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....like five weeks.

Only one baby, we had a sono yesterday. With my first I always measured about three weeks ahead. Do I just carry my babies big? Will I 'even out' towards the end? I haven't gained THAT much weight...

I'm worried I'll be GINORMOUS by the end of this pregnancy...
:

My due date could be a week off...but only like a week!

Does anyone else measure WAY ahead?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's probably just the position of your uterus. Weight gain wouldn't really effect fundal height. It sounds like you are measuring right on target for You.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My fundal height is measuring about 5 weeks ahead too, and my sonogram dates match mine exactly. But everything appears to be well so far, so I guess just weirdness. (Of course I *was* huge by the end of my first pregnancy - no shoplifting-a-basketball pregnancy here, lol. But that seems to run in my family

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am measruing one week ahead, which isn't a big deal. But I am absolutely sure about my dates. My due date is 1/7/07, but now I'm measuring for a delivery date of 12/31/06. My Dr. is keeping the "official date" as 1/7.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have not officially been measured (like with a tape measure) but I have a MW appt. on Tuesday and expect to find out that I am measuring about like you. However, I have not had an ultrasound so if that is the case I might have to get one (very unfortunately because I am against using routine ultrasound) to rule out dates being off or multiples. We'll see....

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
My last pregnancy I measured small at first and then really jumped and got huge all of the sudden, but towards the end it all evened out and I measured perfectly for like the last 6 weeks
I dunno....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Does it seem strange that, although I've been to three doctor's appointments now (the last one was last week at 15 wks.), no one has so much as touched my belly or measured anything or even mentioned the word "fundal"? It just seems kind of weird to me since it seems like this is a pretty common thing...I have no idea whether my uterus feels normal or is normal size or anything. I'm just starting to wonder about the quality/thoroughness of my pre-natal care, ya know?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Congratulations! I also measured ahead on fundal height -- very ahead. And I looked gigantic, so the measurements did not surprise me. They usually had two people double check my fundal height. At 37 weeks, my doctor asked me to do an u/s because of the fundal height and the baby was estimated to already weigh over 11 pounds. My first daughter was 11 pounds, so this was not a big shock.

My second baby weighed 12 lbs, 8 oz. My fundus was tracking the growth of an extra big baby.

BTW, even though I had no indications of problems and passed the screen for gestational diabetes, my OB had me do the full test early in pregnancy just to make sure (because I was measuring so large), and I did *not* have GD.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by swtpesq
Does it seem strange that, although I've been to three doctor's appointments now (the last one was last week at 15 wks.), no one has so much as touched my belly or measured anything or even mentioned the word "fundal"? It just seems kind of weird to me since it seems like this is a pretty common thing...I have no idea whether my uterus feels normal or is normal size or anything. I'm just starting to wonder about the quality/thoroughness of my pre-natal care, ya know?

swtpesq,
My ob said they don't start measuring until around 24 weeks because it's pretty variable until then...or it doesn't neatly translate into inches per week or something. I did have the nurse practitioner take a poke at my belly last week while checking with the Doppler, and she said, you seem to be measuring about right for 16 weeks.

Does that make you feel any better?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by leximom
swtpesq, I haven't been measured tht way yet either this pregnancy....
That could be the difference between obstetric and midwifery care. MW's start feeling earlier (like at your first visit) and are much more hands on (pun intended) with their clients. It is my favorite part of prenatal care... being felt and finding out all the positions baby is in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm measuring big for my dates as well. MW has scheduled a US to confirm dates and/or rule out multiples for 8/11... Until then I'm waiting (im)patiently.
:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
glad to hear I'm not the only one!
It really does make me feel better...it seems like all the preg. people I know irl are itsy bitsy....

Jessica, I totally agree, I love that my mw appts are so hands on and last at least an hour each time (if I want them to
)!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Portraitpixie! i know it seems all other PG women are so-o-o tiny.

I had my 1st MW visit today (and i am overweight) and she said either i can't feel the top properly or could you be like 18 weeks. i'm 13 weeks and was like no-way I had regular periods and can't be further along.

My 1st I was textbook perfect measurements all along! go figure

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'm measuring on track... At my 16 1/2week appointment, my uterus was "two fingers" (as my mw says) below my belly button. At 20 weeks, your uterus is supposed to be right at your belly button, whether you are carrying a single or twins or a tiny baby or a 10 pounder. I think the pattern of measurements is more important than a single measurement or two. I am curious if there may be some undetected twins in this group!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PortraitPixie

:

Quote:

Originally Posted by meggles
I'm measuring on track... At my 16 1/2week appointment, my uterus was "two fingers" (as my mw says) below my belly button. At 20 weeks, your uterus is supposed to be right at your belly button, whether you are carrying a single or twins or a tiny baby or a 10 pounder.
Well, at my 15 week appt I was already at my belly button and I can tell you that I am above that now. YIPES!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hannah8ball
:

Well, at my 15 week appt I was already at my belly button and I can tell you that I am above that now. YIPES!
Is that your measurement or your provider's? Is then when you are laying down? I just wonder because I look so much bigger when I am standing but measure right on when reclining.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meggles
I am curious if there may be some undetected twins in this group!

Well it won't be me! Even though everyone around me keeps asking, after my MW appt. today everything looks and measures right on. So no good reason to suspect!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts