Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know tht fundal height means NOTHING, but I jsut like to measure sometimes to feel like im doing something and noting progress. Anyway, I hadnt measured since I was like 12 weeks. I am 23 weeks now but am measuring 30. Whats up with that? The top of my uterus is jsut a couple inches below my ribs. Could it be because this is baby #3? Im not worried, more curious. Especially since I keep having these weird dreams about twins..lol. Thats quite a big difference 23 weeks and 30, jsut wanted a little input

Mindy

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
could definitely be because it's your third. it also could be the fact that you are measuring yourself, rather than having someone else (your partner??) measure. I'd give it another month - I'd bet that it will "even out" some.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Are you short-waisted like I am? I'm 22 weeks & measuring 25...Are you certain you're measuring yourself from the top edge of your pelvis, that sort of thing?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think it has alot to do with measuring yourself, I always get a different number than dh. also #3 will measure a bit bigger especially at this point in the pregnancy (at least all mine have) and be sure where 0 is on your tape... no I don't think your stupid lol but I did this, I have two different tapes, one has 0 at the very tip the other 0 is about an inch from the tip

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Could be several things: 1, this is the third baby, and the uterus is more relaxed, thereby getting bigger sooner, 2)with a short back-waist length you stick out sooner, and with subsequent children, people often ask by six months if you are having twins. Happened to me...3) other things, like polyhydramnios can cause larger uterus for dates. 4) gaining extra weight will also make the uterus a little large for dates...measure your thigh thru the pg, and if it gets bigger than its just extra weight. Mor than 6 or 7 cm than the number of weeks would be worth checking out. Also the dates may be off, so the uterus may actually be correct...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe baby's positioning could affect the measurements too.
When I was 19 weeks I measured 28cm. There were alot of 'legs' up high in the uterus. I was almost certain there was more than one (or two even!) in there. But no just one.
I am almost 30 weeks and am right on track again.
Being the fifth pregnancy I think I can allow for stretching and bigger measurements. I wouldn't worry about it, it should even out soon enough.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I think in my case it is a stretched-out baby. I'm getting occasional rib-kicks already. Little bugger better be head-down if he's gonna stretch out.
I know that I'm not visibly larger than I was in any previous pregnancy--have received lots of comments that I surely don't look like I'm on my 3rd kid--and haven't gained but 6 pounds. Honestly, I think teasing oneself about multiples is just an amusing way to pass the time. I know there is only one in there, but a little bit of what-if never hurt anybody.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
I was measuring 32 cm at 26 weeks. Then at 30 weeks I measured 31cm. So baby could be going through a growth spurt or the positioning could be making you measure larger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts