Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help! anyone have any good remedies for these indoor gardening problems? i have let stuff dry out as much as i dare, but i can't beat the darn things. it's embarassing to have bugs flying around my house guests' heads!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repotting is probably not an option for me right now (snow on the ground!), although it is definitely sage advice. I love the idea of insectivorous plants. I am in the process of converting my kitchen's south exposure to a winter conservatory, and maybe I will add a sundew or a flytrap. Wood heat, though, so I am concerned about the humidity. Her's what's working so far -

1. Let the plants dry out almost completely, so that I had to run water all the way through a couple of time to rehydrate the soil.

2. While the soil was drying, put out light-colored dishes with yellow paper and mineral oil in them as sticky traps.

3. During next spring's repotting, I will try to use a less peat-y mix. The commercially available stuff all seems way too peat-y anyway, so I prefer to make my own. I have read that peat is a factor; I assume because it holds moisture so the fungus can form. Since my plants all summer outside or on a screen porch, they attract buggies that I then spend the winter eradicating!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts