Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if anyone has a better suggestion as to where to post this, let me know.

My son is 3.5 months old and he woke up this morning with a BAD diaper rash on his lower belly, right above his penis. He was very gassy and uncomfortable all day and then a few minutes ago, he pooped. It was a yellowish tan color, and the consistancy of peanut butter. And it smelled like dog poop. I mean, really bad!

Yesterday I ate coffee in the morning with a banana, a piece of veggie pizza for lunch and pasta with scallops for dinner. I have eaten all of those things a million times while breastfeeding except for scallops. Does this sound like an allergy? My older son has a bunch of allergies, but he NEVER had poops like that. He used to get excema and other skin rashes, not smelly poops.

He is also really drooly and I think he may be teething. He was up a lot last night, and before that he was basically sleeping all night.

Should I take him to a doc? I'm alittle worried.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
IME a doctor won't have a clue. Most don't know about how food passes through mama's b'milk to her babe.

It sounds like he didn't tolerate the scallops. Shellfish is tough for most babies. Any poopy that looks abnormal or smells really bad means something is going on w/his gut - - in this case sounds like he didn't digest the proteins from what you ate.

Look at the "Healing the Gut" tribe and the stickys on the top of the page for more info.

My b'fed babe had similar issues which became more and more frequent and started causing her other problems as well until I began healing myself in order to help her. Our ped said, "ah, probably a virus."
He didn't have a clue.

hth

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My ds is teething right now, and his poops are NAAAASSTY. He also gets a rash all over his bum every time he teeths. I just think all of that drool goes right through, and can irritate the whole system, gut flora and all.
I would get some probiotics and give them daily.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the advice! I never usually take my kids to the doc over stupid stuff, I'm not a nervous mom normally, but all I could think of when I saw that poop was that something was WRONG, ya know? I'm going to avoid shellfish and dairy (or at least cut back) because dairy makes me kinda gassy and my other son is allergic, so it can't hurt to avoid it and see how Julian does.

If this is how teething is gonna go, I hope these teeth come in soon! With my older son, he would act fussy for about 1 minute and wake up the next day with 4 teeth. Literally. The first 2 times he got teeth, he got 4 at a time. It was a breeze. No sleepless nights, no sad baby.

Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.