Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so cosleeping has been great for the last ten months but now DD is getting really squirmy and hoggy and I'd like some alone time with DP once in a while. Even if it's just one or two nights a week. I was thinking of getting a futon because we can use that beside our bed and when not using it, fold it up into a chair. Then when she wakes up she can join us in bed...

But does a futon mattress offer enough support? We'd probably have to use this as her bed for a while because we wouldn't be able to afford a bed on top of that. Right now we can't afford a twin sized bed, there's no room for one and she's too small for it anyway (too high up whereas a futon is very low), a toddler bed just doesnt seem like a good option because I can't lie with her on it, and forget about a crib. So is this a good option?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
DH and I have been sleeping on a (high-quality) cotton futon for ten years. We find it very comfortable. It is more firm than many mattresses, and not springy, but we prefer it that way. Heck, most human beings have slept on the ground and done just fine; "support" is something I believe the mattress companies have convinced us we need.

So yeah, I think a futon is fine. Just make sure you don't get a cheapie one; they won't last and they won't be comfortable. My ex had a cheapie futon from Walmart and you could feel every rail in the frame right through the mattress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.