Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use BumGenius right now, and love them. But I'd like to give the FB a try for a few reasons: more color choices, and they're cheaper. My only worry is that they are not one-size like the BumGenius, and the small goes up to 16lbs. My 11 month old weighs around 17-18lbs, but what if this second baby is born larger and/or grows faster and the small size only lasts a few months?? The 12-pack they have at Cotton Babies is a great price, I think, and they allow you to customize the colors.

So those who use Fuzzi Bunz, what do you think of them?? Oh yes and especially if you had a petite newborn ( under 7lbs ), or slim babies like my DS, how good of a fit do you get with them since they have snaps? TIA!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I prefer the snaps to aplix actually. The fit is a bit more secure. Abby was 8lbs at birth, but is now 2 months and about 12 pounds and she still fits her xsmall FBs. If you're gonna' go with a package deal, ittybittybabybunz has 'em cheaper and they come with a free MOE insert. (I like how the MOE inserts are less bulky in a small diaper.) http://www.ittybittybabybunz.com/fuz...z_packages.htm Smalls won't work for NBs (you might consider xsmalls or prefolds and covers), but they fit better once they do get in them than a bumGenius. The bumGenius gets a bit bulky on a wee one. For at home they're great, but out and about, we pick a sized dipe. Don't forget that they also have wonderful resale value.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I think that Fuzzi Bunz are the gold standard in cloth diapers. I've used them with my DD since she was 4 months old, and they are the diaper that's given us the fewest problems. They wear like iron, and each size has a wide fit range so that they fit for ages. She wore her mediums from 4 months old until 18 months, and she could wear them still now except that I can't stuff them enough to get through the night anymore. I literally washed each and every one of those diapers every single day for 14 months, and while they're well worn, they're still in great shape. I love, love, love these diapers and would recommend them to anyone.

I did not use them until 4 months, though, so I can't say how the smalls would fit a newborn. In my experience, there are very few diapers that really fit a newborn.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I like them. DS is 19.5 lbs and 31 inches and still fit into the smalls just fine. I have such an ecclectic stash, I really wish I had just bought FB in the first place. They are definitely trimmer than most of my other dipes.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
After trying many different kinds, we use FBs exclusively. They're not too expensive, fit great, and hold up well. My ds has been wearing his size Mediums now for 6 months, and since it's still on the tightest snap setting, I'm sure he'll be in them for a loooong time to come.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fuzzibunz make up most of our stash. My dd started wearing mediums at 3 months and is still in them at 15 months (24 lbs). It appears she will be in the mediums for a while longer too since she's still on the tightest snaps on the waist and has just moved to the second tightest snap on the thigh. My FB still look almost new and they are washed every third day. I also really like http://www.greenacredesigns.com/ since I seem to slightly prefer suedecloth inners.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I like them okay. Definitely not my favorite but they seems like an overall loved cloth diaper and I recommend them to newbies. I've really never had any leaks with them, unless dh didn't put an insert in. At times they fit weird but they work well. DS wore a small until about 4 months and then still fits into mediums now at 17 months and 22 lbs. I love the soft microfleece and the available colors are great. I really prefer side snapping and fitteds instead of pockets but for an easy system I think fuzzi bunz are definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Sorry to be the dissenting opinion, but my DH and I are not psyched about them at the moment. Our DS is only 5 weeks old, around 11.5 lbs or so and we have 7 smalls - and they all leak. I DID buy them used and haven't had time to strip them yet, so that could be the issue - but I don't think so, because the inserts are soaked after being used, so obviously moisture is getting through the fleece. They leak out the leg, and it's so aggravating. I really expected them to be our faves, but we only use prefolds, kissaluv 0's and have 1 BumGenius (which we LOVE and plan on ordering more). I'm hoping that they'll stop leaking as he gets older, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just a tip for avoiding leaks out the leg holes. I found that the insert that came with the FB tended to force DS's penis to point to the side, and he would actually pee directly out the leg hole sometimes. It helped a little bit to pull up on the front points of the diaper to tighten the leg holes, but the basic problem remained even if there was no gap around the leg. I solved it by stuffing the FB with a prefold instead of the insert. Rather than folding the prefold in thirds, I rolled the sides in toward the middle. This created a channel down the middle of the diaper, and as long as I made sure DS was contained within this channel when I put the diaper on, everything would be fine and we would not have leaks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really like our FB's they are our going out and about diapers, have had no problems with them. We did use them for night time as well, but started getting leaks and nothing seemed to work so we went with a good "night time" diaper and that's worked for us so far

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I love FB's and use them almost exclusively (I have to have some fitteds for her to wear under the longies I knit
). When she was newborn, she worse XS, but she was under 5 pounds when we brought her home. She then worse a size small until about 8 months I think. She's been wearing a medium ever since, and she is tiny still, just over 19 pounds and 30.5 inches tall. I have never had a leak excpet when I accidentally waterproofed my diapers with diaper rash cream
: I currently own about 20 mediums and just bought 18 more for daycare this fall!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeta
Sorry to be the dissenting opinion, but my DH and I are not psyched about them at the moment. Our DS is only 5 weeks old, around 11.5 lbs or so and we have 7 smalls - and they all leak. I DID buy them used and haven't had time to strip them yet, so that could be the issue - but I don't think so, because the inserts are soaked after being used, so obviously moisture is getting through the fleece. They leak out the leg, and it's so aggravating. I really expected them to be our faves, but we only use prefolds, kissaluv 0's and have 1 BumGenius (which we LOVE and plan on ordering more). I'm hoping that they'll stop leaking as he gets older, but I'm not going to hold my breath...
maybe you should put two inserts in? maybe one hemp insert and one microterry or cotton insert?

also if there is any gap in the leg hole, it is too big. it should be really snug. my ds wears mediums to sleep in and he is 2.5 years old! our newborn will probably wear xs. but i hear on the prefolds and kissaluvs. i have some to try this time. yay!

i like how we don't have to size up much anymore b/c kids don't grow as fast once they turn one.

·
Registered
717 Posts
thats' pretty much all I use (except for prefolds/covers sometimes) and I love them. I like the snaps better than aplix and they're so easy to use.

we have xs, small and medium. My 2 yo and my 9 mo are both in the mediums. I'd rather have a sized diaper than a one size poofballoon on a newborn! My kids wore the XS till they were 12 lbs.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Poot
but what if this second baby is born larger and/or grows faster and the small size only lasts a few months??
Small FB's will last you until AT LEAST 16 pounds, probably longer.

Quote:

So those who use Fuzzi Bunz, what do you think of them??
I used FB exclusively for DD's first 1-3.5 mos of life and LOVED them. They're the only dipe DH will use! Never had a leaking problem/repelling problem or any other problem with them. (We did buy new and washed exclusively with Allen's Naturally detergent per FB wash&care instructions) DD weighs in at 15 pounds now and still wearing her smalls. (We also use fitteds/covers at home/night time, hence the not "exclusive" use)

Quote:

Oh yes and especially if you had a petite newborn ( under 7lbs ), or slim babies like my DS, how good of a fit do you get with them since they have snaps? TIA!!
My DD was 6pounds 1oz at birth and we used Kissaluvs 0/covers for exactly one week...hated them. Switched to FB's and found love. They're a little tricky until the cord stump falls off as you can't roll/snap them down under it. But the adjustable waist AND leg snaps allow you to get a great fit for your babe. Much better than a One Size (OS) dipe on a NB. You can also get FB X-Small sized pockets for a really small NB, but I found Small's to fit good for us.

Good luck!
SAM

·
Registered
111 Posts
We tried a few different covers in the beginning - Polar Babies (recycled fleece), Bumkins (plastic or vinyl or whatever), Aristocrats (wool) - all worked pretty well, but we ended up with only Fuzzi Bunz in the end. They're just so easy, comfortable, and dependable. We used the Joey Bunz hemp inserts because they are so thin and absorbant. One at home, two out, three at night.

The double row of snaps makes them pretty adjustable (we never had leaks), and we only ever bought one set (I think it was mediums) that fit her from 1 yr. on (I think she started using the toilet around 2-3 yrs.). We passed them on to friends who used them for their 6 month old til he trained at 2 yrs. You do have to be careful buying them used - I think they must have changed their sizing at some point because the newer ones fit differently - I think they're bigger now.

We didn't follow the recommended washing guide (in fact I never noticed it
). We used Biokleen powder, which I've actually heard since citrus oils aren't good for fleece - but like I said we never had any leaks and as far as I know our friend hasn't either. Maybe b/c we always put it through two rinses, one with vinegar (to keep them from smelling but maybe it stripped the citrus oil too?)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like snaps over aplix. I really liked them when my first ds was in mediums, but when he moved up to large I couldn't get a good fit. So we moved on to other things. I think they are a pretty good workhorse/staple diaper though.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a bout 3 dozen of them in sizes from preemie to med and 2 pt. toddler and unless I stuff them to the max, and change DS greater than every 2 hours they all leak, I have tried to strip them and nothing seems to help. I thought that they were a big waste of money
. I love using Bumkins and a prefold
. A bit more time consuming to spray out poopies but much much better. We never have leaks. We are even able to let him go 3 hours between changes. I bought my fuzzi bunz prior to DS arrival as we heard they were great. I think that I would tell others to by 1-2 to use with your others to see of they work for you before investing in a lot. Each baby is different and what works for one may not work for another.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Even though they are not beautiful like so many WAHM diapers out there (and every one of mine is a slightly different size and has threads hanging off them) they are still my gold standard diaper. I used the small on my skinny ds until he was 4 months old, and now he is in mediums at 24 pounds/19 months with snaps to go. Some people PT in mediums.

They last forever, never leak for me, and are invaluable for out and about diapers. I don't like them as much in summer since my ds gets so sweaty in them, but they are excellent diapers when the temp. is not so outrageous. I also use them for covers over trifolded PFs and they work great. That is nice when you want cotton touching your babes bum rather than microfleece.

And I love the snaps. I use PFs during the summer 95% of the time, but I pull out the FBs for going out and for dh diaper changes (rare as they are!).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts