Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
this is good to know; however, i would hate for this to scare people away from benzos completely. there is a difference between taking benzos in low doses occasionally, or for sleep only, or for a few weeks while adjusting to your SSRI, and taking them daily in larger doses for years.

i think as part of a comprehensive treatment plan under the care of a competent psychiatrist, they can be very, very helpful. and i say this as someone who has taken them off and on since my DD's birth. a lot more off than on in the past few months, though, once i got on zoloft
:

i'm really cautious about drugs, too, but sometimes you need them, and as long as you're careful and have a good doctor, i see no issue with benzos. my psychiatrist told me i WOULD get off of them, and she was right--i basically did. i've taken them maybe once a month for the last few months. that's not going to cause withdrawal!

·
Registered
287 Posts
ditto readytobedone's post. I have had just about the exact same experience with ativan and zoloft. i took ativan for a couple of months to get my sleep back on track, and since climbing out of the black hole of my initial crisis, I haven't needed it. i always have it in the cupboard just in case, and thats all the comfort i need i guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.