Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Noone answered my SE GA call, so I guess I will be all alone over there...?

So, can the mamas living ANYWHERE in GA tell me about it? We are moving to GA in about 2 weeks, I'm excited!

What are the pro's & con's of Georgia? (Please don't list heat as a con, LOL, I L*O*V*E heat!)

Anyone...pretty please?

Have any GA mamas VISITED SE GA? What did you think?

Anyone? Anything?

·
Registered
97 Posts
i didn't answer your previous post because i'm in middle georgia now--not southern or coastal. our first is on it's way so i can't comment on anything kid related really. but, i guess for me, the cons of living in macon are that finding like minded people are few and far between. it's a little more difficult for me to find the products we use or organic food. there's only one CSA i've found close to me...and it's not that close...

really i think it depends on where you're going in georgia. i've just moved from athens and didn't have any of these problems....

pros: i think georgia is beautiful--especially the mountains and rivers. the spring is beautiful. i love the native flowers and trees here. especially the blooming trees. southern summers are hot but winters aren't really very bad.

there's savannah and atlanta to visit and all the cute mountain towns.

sorry, i dont feel like i'm really much help here.....i just wanted to respond because no one else did yet!
maybe someone with a better point of view will come along....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Where exactly are you moving to? I have family that lives in SE GA in Odum (pop 400) and in St. Simon's Island. I live in Gwinnett Co (NE of Atlanta), as well as my parents, sis, BIL, and neice, aunt & uncle, and grandma. We have extended family kind of all over the place.

It really depends on what area you are moving to and what you're looking for. A lot of areas in SE GA are farm country but it's really pretty and very peaceful to live out there. PITA if you like shopping, as from my grandparents' house it's 1 1/2 hours to the nearest mall.

Let me know where and I'll see if I can help.

Beth

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thanks mamas for replying! We're moving to Brunswick, DH will be working on St. Simons Island. Farm country is what I am looking for...shopping? Nah. Don't care. Love outdoors & nature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We live in Savannah and have always enjoyed it. It is scorching hot and has a million bugs but the beach isn't too far away, the parks are beautiful, it is loaded with history and the best natural foods store is right down the street! Sorry I can't tell you about Brunswick- I think they have cows.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bugs?
Can you elaborate?
:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
one nice thing about ga is that theres a little of everything beaches (which you will be near to), mountains, cities, farms, etc. it is hard to find ap'ers in my experience but then i'm in small town middle ga. nothing is more than a day trip away though.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I was wondering, too, what is there in the way of Amusement Parks, etc in GA? I know there's 6 Flags over Atlanta...anything else?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Don't know how helpful I can be. I live in Cumming (North of ATL) and grew up in Atlanta. There is a White Water (water amusement park) in Marietta (close to Atlanta).

Pollen is definately a negative. Humidity is a negative too! (Sorry, I'm normally pretty positive, but I can't say I'm in love with GA).

Savannah is a really neat place to visit.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Casey

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'm also north of Atlanta. I did live in Macon for 2 years though. South and middle GA are pretty different than Atlanta or Athens. I hdo hope that you are able to find a few like minded famlies in Brunswick. Have you checked into LLL meetings there??? That would be a great place to start! Good luck with your move!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm
Thanks! I was wondering, too, what is there in the way of Amusement Parks, etc in GA? I know there's 6 Flags over Atlanta...anything else?
If you are going to be in Brunswick, there is a small water park near you in Jekyll Island. It is called Summer Waves.
In Valdosta we have Wild Adventures. It is constantly growing and now has a waterpark section in it also. They have several concerts there each month. Check out the link: http://wildadventures.net/welcome.asp
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
theres a small waterpark in statesboro (not too far i don't think) called splash in the boro. i haven't been but friends have recommended highly for small kids say pre school through middle elementary because of its small size and the prices are very reasonable .

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
oh and if you feel like driving a bit there is wild adventures in valdosta. haven't been but there is a zoo and an amusement park in one.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I am SO looking forward to moving!!!! Whee!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:

Bugs?
Can you elaborate?
:
We have lots of bugs. We have the big water bugs. They are the huge roaches that fly. They mainly come out after rain or late at night.
We have mosquitos. Ants, June bugs, and many other flying bugs that you would be able to identify. Then we have lots of others bugs that most of us need google or other source to find out the name of it. They're all harmless though. Just annoying.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just moved to Georgia myself.

Pros:
-Beautiful.
-Low cost of living.

Cons:
-Bugs. The previous poster was not kidding. I made sure to rent an apartment with interior hallways.
I am not at all a fan of the palmetto bugs (giant flying roaches).
-Humidity.
-Conservative. At least to me. I moved here from Scotland and before that I lived in California, so in comparison I guess I don't feel like I fit in very well as an agnostic liberal. I need to get to some LLL, API, NINO meetings soon.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it common for these bugs to be in your home? Another thing...DH swears there are gators there...true?
:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:

Is it common for these bugs to be in your home? Another thing...DH swears there are gators there...true?
:

Not really. The palmetto bugs only come in if you leave your door open long enough for them to come in. They have a bug spray that you can spray around the outside of the house that works pretty well to keep them away. It works for about a month or so. We normally just spray around the doors. It helps with the ants and other flying bugs too.

There are gators here but they are found at lakes and tend to stay there. They don't roam around and it's not very common to see them.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamommy
Not really. The palmetto bugs only come in if you leave your door open long enough for them to come in. They have a bug spray that you can spray around the outside of the house that works pretty well to keep them away. It works for about a month or so. We normally just spray around the doors. It helps with the ants and other flying bugs too.

There are gators here but they are found at lakes and tend to stay there. They don't roam around and it's not very common to see them.
Lakes? Don't people swim there?

Sorry - I'm from upstate NY! NOT a southerner, sorry if I sound dumb!
:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The lakes that people swim in are pretty well kept up and monitored for gators and such. The lakes you need to need to worry about gators being in are the ones that are stagnant, green, and kind of yucky. But if you stick to the lakes that the city or county keeps up you should be fine.

As for bugs, they like heat, and they like humidity, and we've got tons of each. It's just a fact of life. As long as you don't give them a food source in your house, though, you shouldn't have too many problems.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.