Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was overweight before becoming pregnant and I gaind 45 pounds in my pregnancy. My Ob/gyn says that if I don't get my weight off I will have polycystic ovarian syndrome. I am borderline right now. I was so motivated to lose the weight then found out my baby has milk and soy protein intolerance. I have been gaining more weight with the no soy or diary. This is so depressing. I should be losing weight not gaining it!<br>
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Are you eating things made w/ white flour, white rice, etc? Switching to whole grains can make big difference. Fill up on veggies at meals and try to eat more veggies and fruit for snacks. HTH!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>diapers4fun</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">My Ob/gyn says that if I don't get my weight off I will have polycystic ovarian syndrome.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I thought being overweight was a symptom of PCOS, not a cause...? I don't know much about it, I was just surprised by this. My understanding was/is that people with PCOS often have insulin issues and that therefore a focus on lowering blood glucose was an important dietary factor, i.e. following a relatively low-carb and definitely low-glycemic diet. So lots of fresh vegetables, protein from nuts, seeds, beans and perhaps eggs and meat if you eat those.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Try eating 10 serving of fruits and veggies a day. Aim for 4 fruits, 6 veggies and go heavy on the leafy greens. Eat nuts, seeds and beans. Some people say you should limit nut consumption, but I really don't think you have to, at least not at first. For the last 10 ponds, maybe. Do no more than one WHOLE grain a day (though I don't do any) and you should see a big difference. It's important to be eating all whole foods, not things that deplete your body and that don't register as food. There are many books that can guide you through this, it's hard in the beginning, but you will feel great!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I have a dairy/soy free foods list that might give you some more ideas as to what you can eat so maybe you can balance out your diet a little more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts