Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My dd has had intermittent symptoms for at least 2 years: red anus and strange stools. It gets better on a GFCF diet, but doesn't go away completely. I could do another TED, but I'm really fascinated by the GAPS diet (www.gapsdiet.com for an overview). It's basically SCD with a few differences (probiotics, traditional foods, no dairy at first)

Is anyone here on the diet and if yes, have you had success in healing allergies? Her main focus is on autism, but I've heard that the diet can "cure" allergies as well.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Just yesterday I was considering posting a similar question, but I'm interested in this for my husband. We've been gfcf for 1.5yrs now and I think that's been a good first step, but I'm interested in more.

Anyway, just wanted to say you're not alone in starting to explore this, but I don't have answers.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My husband and I are on GAPs. We were on the full GAPs diet for 6 months, then went back 4 weeks ago after a phone consult with Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride to do the intro diet.

Based on what I've read in her book, allergies are also a sign of gut dysbiosis. Basically, the way she explains it, your immune system has 2 lines of defense -- TH1 and TH2. TH1 are like the soldiers up front who will fight the bad microbes, viruses, bacteria, etc. In a healthy person, the gut is made of 80% good, 20% bad bacteria. The good bacteria keep the bad bacteria in line and has numerous functions including digesting of certain foods and also help nurture your TH1 cells. When the balance of good versus bad bacteria is upset (gut dysbiosis), your TH1 cells stop functioning. So when bad stuff comes in that the TH1 cells can't handle, the TH2 cells step in and become overactive. These cells do a number of things, but are also the same cells responsible for producing proteins that cause an allergic response.

I don't have experiences with using it to cure allergies, but my hypoglycemia and digestion have greatly improved. We are also trying it to cure my husband's bipolar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.