Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Our garage is being renovated. We have a two car garage but we sold our second car, so now we have plenty of space in our garage to use it as a storage space. And having 2 kids under 5 we definitely need a lot of space to store things. There we are planning on having wall mounted organizers so that floor space is not wasted. Also we will be using portable cabinets so that they can be repositioned according to our needs.
I hope I am not overdoing my garage and making it into an overstuffed storage space. What do you guys think of our plan? My main concern is floor space, we need enough floor space so that we can move around the place. Is there anything else we should do so that there is enough of floor space in the garage.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I think you've touched on a problem with garage storage - it's out of sight, out of mind, and easy to just stash stuff out there, instead of getting rid of it. Or you forget it's there.

I have a fair amount of storage in the garage, but I try to keep everything in well-marked tubs, and with like items, to help me keep track. For example, I have tubs for holiday decorations, a section of shelves for camping gear, another section for summer toys. I have a shelf for winter boots, and one for bulk purchases of paper towels and TP.

The key is to have everything well labeled, so you can find it when you need it. My Mom took this a step further - she made an inventory of what's in her tubs. She put one copy inside the tub, and another in a folder in the house. The tubs are marked numerically; when she needs to retrieve something, she finds it on the list, and knows to go to Tub #3 . I'm not that anal, but it works for her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts