Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to be moving within the next 3 to 4 weeks and have a ton of things to purge. Old furniture, rugs, clothes, toys, etc., If it's not goign to be used within the next 3 months, it's going bye bye. Should I take care of this before we move and hold a garage sale or send it off to charity or wait until we're moved in to the new house and then do the sale or send off??

· Registered
1,492 Posts
I think it is better to do the sale the weekend before you move, because that way you don't have to pack up and move all that stuff that doesn't belong in the new house. Moving is such cluttery event anyway, why move things that you know are going to be nothing but useless clutter?

· Registered
1,582 Posts
I always do a sale before and another after we move, I always seem to find stuff that somehow "hides" until we move that really just needs to go. We move alot, DH is in the military, and really the less I have to move and pk the better. Plus its nice to have a little $$ when we move to redecorate our new place (my curtains never seem to work from one house to another)

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Garage sale NOW. Do NOT move things with you that you plan to sell/get rid of. Imagine the time/energy you will spend packing, loading, moving, unloading and resettling all the things that you don't even want anymore.

The only exception would be if you are moving to a higher traffic area (from rural to suburban) or if there will be a better chance of making money at the new home. AND if you have some specific large items to sell (dining set, weights/fitness machine, baby gear). If no, then its probably not worth the work for the $. Post big items on craigslist or the like.

We have made decent $ and poor $ with garage sales in the past and it really varied by location and having some big items to make a good sale.

ETA: The sale we had before making a move we made more than $600 selling a ton of items, and that was us selling things we had bought secoond hand. It was a great high traffic location and we had lots of big furnniture.

Our more recent sale we made closer to $150, even though we had some big items. We just weren't in a high traffic area and didn't get the same interest in what were arguably nicer/newer things.

Currently, we aren't bothering with the work. We'll just list big items and donate the rest.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I'd post to Craigslist and hold the sale pre-move. Then sale "leftovers" can be posted to Freecycle and sent to charity. After the move you can do this again for items that just don't fit in the new space.
Ditto this!

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Before. We just moved out of state and once you've gotten to the new place, you're going to have too much to do to do a sale.

· Registered
4,400 Posts
Neither.

Garage/yard sales just are not worth the time and energy for us. We list nice items on Craigslist and through email to everyone we know locally. We offer the more used, but worth something items to everyone we know locally via email for free and/or freecycle them. All the little things go to charity. I don't go through the entire house all at once, either. If I did, I would simply call a specific charity that picks up just about anything and donate it all and be done. I document and itemize on our taxes. The rest is good karma...

· Registered
369 Posts
I'd say get rid of it before you move. I'd also say that it's probably not worth it to garage sale it - I'd advise just giving it to charity.

However, don't let any of this make you feel committed to the stuff that you _do_ move. You'll probably find a lot of "now _why_ did I keep this, again?" stuff when you're unpacking. Don't waste a moment feeling silly, just get rid of that stuff, too.

Crayfish

· Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Both.. I like to do one before of things I KNOW I wont need/want when I move. Then I do one after because I always find that things I thought I wanted I don't need and takes up room. Nothing like moving to make you realize how little you use things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.