Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been thinking about purchasing a bunch of canvas/mesh bags for grocery shopping. They seem like a great idea, I totally love the idea of cutting down on waste. BUT - what will I use for garbage bags?!? Right now I use grocery bags to line all of the garbage bins in our house. Do you guys buy garbage bags? Or is there a cloth version of those I could try? Maybe no garbage bags? Or is there a biodegradable version I could throw away?

Any suggestions would be apreciated.....

Thanks, Emily

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I don't use garbage bags except in my kitchen trash. It works fine. I just wash out the individual trash cans occasionally.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've been thinking about this.

We compost - no liquidly goo in the bin.
We recycle paper, carboard, glass, tins, tetra packs and have the opportunity to recycle all plastics too. Do I *need* a garbage? I don't think I need a bag....

But, haven't got quite there yet.
:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I always use cloth bags for groceries and buy garbage bags. I live in an apartment and have to carry my garbage to bins in the parking lot. Stuff that isn't bagged often blows out.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
We just moved into a new (to us) house and are having a new garbage disposal installed tomorrow. We've never had a working garbage disposal. We compost all our green food waste, recycle like crazy. The only thing in our trash that would be goopy is meat and dairy trash. Now, we can presumably disposal that. So we are going to start using these Biobag waste bags that I found at our coop. For the occasional really yucky trash, like a dead rat, we will keep the real plastic kind around. But, I foresee us using them very little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.