Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year with a vegetable garden, I have these small weeds growing around my plants, they are also growing in my window box. I pulled the ones from the window box but they are coming back. I am looking for an idea to get rid of the weeds but not killing my plants. The window box is supposed to be growing herbs, the only soil in there is miricle grow, I dont understand why there are weeds in there.

any ideas, suggestions would be great.

· Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Personally, I'd just keep weeding, and once the plants really fill in, there shouldn't be room for the weeds to grow.

Soil mixes that aren't sterilized can end up with seeds, or they just blow in from elsewhere around the yard, neighbors, birds (especially if you have a feeder nearby). Also, if you bought your plants already started, the weed seeds could have been in their soil mix, and come with your plants.

· Registered
93 Posts
I second that...keep weeding.

Don't know about anybody else, but I mulch my container plants, too, when the weather gets warmer. Helps keep in some of the moisture. I just use compost. You might try that (if the pot has room) to see if it discourages the weeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.