Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our name just came up on the waiting list for a community garden. I decided to go for it, but there are no raised beds, and this will be my first time in many years doing direct, in-ground gardening.

Obviously, I can look up some ideas, but I'd love to hear some tips and ideas based on what's worked in your own experience. I'm nervous about moles and ignorant about how to prepare the soil.

TIA for the advice!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have only ever planted directly in the ground. We always rototill the entire garden in the spring (after spreading compost, blood meal, coffee grounds and sheep manure) just before planting. Then I measure off the rows and pound in stakes to mark them. I have a string that I stretch between the stakes to hoe each row, and plant the seeds according to their type. If I am doing bedding plants I dig the holes for them along the string. Then I water well till the sprouts are up, keep well weeded for the first while till the little plants get a good foothold. We have a mini tiller we use between the rows also. We live in the city and I have never had a mole

1 - 2 of 2 Posts