Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CSA box this week is overflowing! I've got a recipe for the swiss chard, lettuce will just go in salads, sugar snap peas devoured on the spot, I've become very adept at spinach recipes over the past few weeks.<br><br>
But what on EARTH do I do with a garlic scape, and does anyone have a turnip recipe for a turnip hater? I have seriously never met a turnip I liked and neither has dh.<br><br>
I've been having so much fun with finding recipes for all these veggies, but these two have me stumped.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Funny I was just heading to the kitchen to make some garlic scape pesto! Basically pest but sub garlic scapes for the basil. I actually often just do garicl scapes and olive oil and whir them around in the food processor. I either use it as I would crushed garlic or I toss it with some pasta like you would with pesto. You can use them chopped in stirfry or sauteed veggie dishes too.<br><br>
Not sure about the turnips. I have a bunch from my csa waiting in the fridge as well so I'll check back for ideas myself!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/dining/18appe.html?_r=1&oref=slogin" target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/di...=1&oref=slogin</a><br><br>
Some ideas for the garlic scapes here. There are lots of garlic scape pesto recipes out there too.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I cut up the garlic scapes in 1-inch slices and toss them in with roasted veggies (throw in the last 5-10 minutes or so.)<br>
They are delicious with roasted radishes, or sugar snap peas!<br><br>
Turnips are nice to include with other root vegetables. Cut up potatoes, parsnip, turnip, and rutabaga and roast with garlic and fresh herbs like thyme. Delish! I am not sure I have ever had them on their own, but I love them mixed with the other root veggies.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, thanks! Maybe I'll roast the turnips with some potatoes and sweet potatoes.<br><br>
I did find a spinach and garlic scape fritatta recipe, I may play around and turn it into more of a quiche though (to make up for my failed spinach quiche this week when I mixed up my spinach and arugula).

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
You can freeze the scapes too. Just cut them into small pieces (however you'd normally use them) and put them in a freezer container. Then they can go in soups, stir-fries, stews, etc.<br><br>
Turnips, I do a turnip gratin that's pretty good. I think the recipe is from Epicurious so you could either search here (use the Google MDC search function at the top R of the page) or on Epicurious.<br><br>
HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts