Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 3 weeks old and is so gassy all night long. She doesn't cry, but she grunts and squirms and I hear her pass gas and it wakes both of us up frequently through out the night. I want to help her, but I'm not sure how. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My baby was the same way and it got better on its own (she's 12 weeks now). I think some of this is related to their immature digestion system. A couple things you can try are baby massage (focusing on tummy), bicycling her legs. Mylicon drops didn't work that great for us, but I know it has helped some babies I know. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It sounds weird, but when my dd is gassy and grunty I pull her little toes up to her chin while she's laying on her back. It usually helps the gas out and seems to relieve pressure in her tummy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My DD is 2.5 monyhs old and the same way. She's always been like this. Usually she's asleep, but lifting her legs, grunting and squirming. It has gotten better over the weeks, but some nights are worse than others. I often notice when I lift her legs to change her dipe, she toots. So if I feel like she's having trouble getting t out herself (usually because she's asleep or very sleepy), I lift her legs and press her knees to her belly. Sometimes, I prop her in this position next to me, bracing her feet against my thighs when I'm lying on my side, if you can picture that. I'm sort of curled around her on my side, she's on her back, her legs up and braced against my legs. This seems to help with the squirming. Good luck!<br><br>
Oh, and at the risk of sounding like a horrible mama, might I suggest earplugs to help you sleep through the grunting? As long as you're co-sleeping, or at least very close to your babe, you'll hear the important things. I was completely sleep deprived for her first couple weeks bcause of the grunting and farting, and earplugs saved all of our sanity. I was scared to use them (mw suggested it), but they really saved us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We've dealt with the same thing. DD is 2 months now and I suspect most of it is just getting used to her digestion. I consider us lucky that she is a grunter and not a crier like some babies are. Nonetheless, it is so hard to sleep through, especially co-sleeping. Here are a few things we have tried with various success:<br><br>
1. Really watching what I eat. I have gone on an elimination diet and have found that helped a lot. I am slowly adding foods back in to see which make her gas worse. So far I have found these make it worse: nuts, chocolate, tomatoes, turnips, and beans. The problem is that it is a slow process of adding foods back in one at a time. I feel like I am hardly eating anything (just a lot of rice and turkey!). Today we are going to our ND to see if he can just test her for everything so that I can go back to eating a broader range of foods.<br><br>
2. Yeast. I didn't realize it but we had thrush. The yeast is systemic and can cause gas as the yeast die off. I have noticed a slight improvement as we worked on this issue (but again it means more restrictions on what I am eating ie- no fruits or fermented foods).<br><br>
3. When she is really having a hard time, I can drape her over my belly sideways (or over my hip if I am sleeping on my side). The pressure on her belly seems to really help sometimes and she can sleep like that.<br><br>
4. Yoga ball. When the draping doesn't work and I just can't sleep through the grunting, I can hold her upright and bounce her vigorously on our yoga ball. She will slowly start to grunt less and eventually relaxes. I bounce her for a few minutes past the point she isn't squirming anymore and then try going back to bed. Then I sleep upright with her on my chest. She really does better on her belly and this way I can be sure that she is safe. She also seems to like being upright better than completely flat.<br><br>
We have also tried chiropractic, cranial-sacral, and a few other therapies (can you tell, I really want to get some sleep!?) Nothing has been a silver bullet, but it has gotten better. I do suspect that really it will just take time for her to grow out of it completely (and then we will be dealing with teething, right?)<br><br>
Anyway, just wanted to offer my thoughts since I know how tough it can be to not be able to help your baby when she is uncomfortable and also when you aren't getting sleep.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
915 Posts
My Mr. Gassypants is six weeks old this Sat. We mostly do the stuff mentioned already, but since we also suspect a touch of reflux, we put him on his left side when he lies beside us (as opposed to on top of us).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts