Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im posting for a postpartum doula client. It seems like I should know this stuff, but when I had gassy babies I was so deliriously tired that that part of my memory is very hazy. I also was not into giving them anything but breastmilk...so here is the ?
baby 10 days old, exclusively breastfed, has seemingly experienced some gassy events over his 10 days, but the last 2 nights he has been really upset most of the night with what seems like a gassy tummy. Mom wants to know what she can do other than just breastfeed him, a few minutes after she unlatches he starts to fuss, pull up his legs the whole works, then screams for a while...then the cycle starts all over again. so what have you done that seemed to work as far as natural rememdies for gas in babies? I have heard of gripe water, weak chamomile tea or peppermint tea....need some ideas and info to give to mama! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
we use gripe water, which has ginger, fennel and chammomile.

even though i didnt want to, in the early days, our biggest helper was the little remedies gas drops, you can get them at babies r us, they are sugar and dye free unlike mylicon.

it sounds like she may have an overactive letdown thats causing the gas though, we went through the same thing with ds as a newborn, i started block feeding, and it evened out, so he wasnt gulping so mch with each feeding, so his gas slowly subsided.

·
Registered
965 Posts
we've struggled with this too.

we never did fully solve the problem but putting pressure on his tummy seemed to help him feel better, holding him facing out with our hands around his tum.

Also keeping him sitting up after eating for 10 minutes helps too. That stopped the side-lying night feedings, had to get up and do it in a chair or at least hold him upright after he ate. No more drifting off to sleep after eating because it ended with him waking up screaming in pain.

The mylicon never helped and I think the gripe water just kept his mind off his problems for a few minutes but maybe it will work better for your client.

good luck, it's just no fun seeing them in such pain.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
We are using an herbal tincture our midwife gave us. It works well...not quite sure what's in it though.

We had the same problem at night. So far, I've noticed that if she is more at an angle instead of laying on the flat bed, she doesn't have the gas issue. So she sleeps in the crook of my arm that is resting on a pillow.

Also, has she thought of the foods that she's eating could be causing it? We found out that dd (6 weeks old) has a LOT of food sensitivities. I am down to eating the same 6 foods everyday and her gas has drastically reduced. Might be something to check into. We would go through the same cycle everyday and night as you described.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Gripe water, Chamomile Catnip, Cocynatal...

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Cocyntal works great! Just remember, like any homeopathic, not to nurse babe within a 15 minute time period prior to or following, if possible. Also no mint products. I use the Carbo Vegetabilis remedy for my tummy troubles and it works great for me, so I was excited to see the baby version (Cocyntal) worked just as well for our baby!

We like Baby's Bliss Gripe Water too. Very good stuff!

Warm washcloth on tummy can also be very soothing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info, the lactose overload info was very interesting and she is trying this now. thank you, thank you, thank you!

·
Registered
444 Posts
One side feeding really helped us out, too, with mucusy green poops. She still has her fussy periods, but I got some Gripe Water and will see if that works!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
For us the dairy in my diet was the culprit.

I eliminated foods and voila! new baby who was HAPPY!!

Ohh and it is important to get every single bit of the offending food out of your diet.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Aside from the great suggestions here, we also had good success with a hand over hand "paddlewheel" baby massage on the tummy. Let me see if I can find a link

Here we go!

Quote:
Place your palm under the baby's chin, with your fingers pointing toward his shoulder. (It doesn't matter which hand you begin with since you will use both.) Draw your hand down his chest, and into the diaper area. Your stroke should be smooth and firm enough that you feel the "dip" when your hand leaves his ribcage. As your hand is around the belly button, place the opposite hand under the chin and stroke downward, so your hands are making circles over the baby, with one hand always stroking. Do this until your hands/arms begin to tire.
http://www.slumbersounds.com/colic-massage-info.htm

This page also has some other massage strokes that helped us as well, the leg bend and the tummy circle ( we used the same book quoted on the page)

Chanley, I read this

Quote:
I eliminated foods and voila
as "I eliminated foods and vodka"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.