Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get an accurate gauge? I know that you're supposed to knit up a swatch and take an average, but does that really work when some places it is 3 stiches to the inch and other places it is 5? Can I just "call it" 4 then? It seems like it is going to end up wrong no matter what I do! The thin part is as thin as sock yarn, if not thinner, and the thick is bulky! It is lovely yarn, but I need to know to make longies that fit.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I would go with a fairly small needle, like a 6 or so, maybe even a 5, if you're using slick needles. Then knit up your swatch to be at least 5 inches square, measure the center four inches and divide by four. It really does work, but you want to make sure your fabric is dense. If it is too holey in the thin spots, then try a smaller needle.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think I have the same yarn. I love it! But I definitely was wondering what you're wondering--make the swatch. I was surprised how it came out, the thick and thin really melded together, and still was bulky, no holes.<br>
I'm just making hats and socks so it all works out.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
yes- divide across the whole length of the swatch- don't count the actual stitches in an inch. You can come up with a situation where you get "5" stitches to the inch without ever actually fitting exactly 5 stitches in an inch- may have three, may have eight... as long as it averages out it will work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts