Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ladies...I have a question about gauge...

The pattern I want to do says the gauge is 16 stitches + 32 rows = 4" in garter stitch.
The gauge for the yarn I want to use is 17 stitches + 24 rows = 4" in St stitch.

Both using size 8 needles.

I am trying to avoid doing a swatch...can you tell!!!???
:

Do I use 7's or 9's?

I would like to get this gift done by Monday....not sure if I will be able to...but I sure am going to try like hell..... :LOL

TIA

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I try to avoid it too, it is the biggest PITA because you just want to get to the project, but it is so necessary. As the Yarn Harlot says, "Swatches are actually magic charms that prevent all knitting mishaps" LOL

Having said that, I usually make my swatches smaller than they should be and my stuff turns out fine!

~Devon

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am well into the pattern now. Thanks for the gentle "kick" to do a swatch.

Just added the arms to the back of the sweater....YAHOO!!!!!

Oh and Devon? It is in you fav color....orange!!! :LOL
Actually it looks more like a cream-cicle...yummy....Going to edge the entire sweater in a dark purple....very cute I might add....however I am not wearing it...it is a size 6 months.... :LOL :LOL
A matching hat? i think so.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
See, creamsicle is pretty. I just bought a cute little shrug in "apricot" that's adorable-- she likes that bright orange or that rusty color (no offense Theresa
)

It sounds really cute, and I think a matching hat is definitely in order!

·
Registered
701 Posts
hitching on...

i haven't done a swatch yet because i fear there not being quite enough yarn if i do.... i check while i'm knitting and so far I've been lucky in that my gauge is the same as the pattern's. I know my luck is not destined to hold.

so say i bind off, but don't do that final cut and block... can i reuse the yarn?
:

or should I bite the bullet and do a sincere swatch, and then if I get to the end and need that yarn, undo the swatch and use it.

I really think the answer will be B. *sigh*

~amey

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amey
hitching on...

i haven't done a swatch yet because i fear there not being quite enough yarn if i do.... i check while i'm knitting and so far I've been lucky in that my gauge is the same as the pattern's. I know my luck is not destined to hold.

so say i bind off, but don't do that final cut and block... can i reuse the yarn?
:

or should I bite the bullet and do a sincere swatch, and then if I get to the end and need that yarn, undo the swatch and use it.

I really think the answer will be B. *sigh*

~amey
i thought they key to doing a good swatch was making sure that you make it big enough, and that it was not necessarily important to bind off and cut the yarn. I am just learning about knitting though.
I did see a tip online somewhere that if you save your guage swatch you will always have some matching yarn on hand for repairs if need be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.