Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time knitting on circulars, and I'm attempting the picky pants pattern in size small (for the new babe
). I am fairly new to knitting, this is definitely the hardest pattern I've attempted yet, but I think I can do it (I hope!). I am using malabrigo (it's beautiful), and the gauge did not come out right. I got a 3.5" square instead of a 4" square. I did the gauge on straight needles--was I supposed to use circulars? I suppose the logical thing to do would be to go up a size in needles, but then the pants will be kind of airy and I don't think that's a good idea for soaker pants. Is there any other (relatively easy) way to adjust the pattern? Could I just follow the pattern as if I were making size medium, and then they'd come out more like the measurements of the size small? Or would the proportions be off?

Thanks for any help!

Lex

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
well, first off, I'd redo the swatch according to the way it's said to do it in the pattern
If you cast on just the number of stitches you expect to get in 4", you will NOT get an accurate gauge swatch. the edge stitches tend to distort and not be accurate. So, you really ned to cast on double the number you expect in 4", then measure in just the center of the swatch, so tha tyou aren't including any edge stitches

Now, with the malabrigo, as long as you get gauge you shouldn't have an airy or loose fabric at all - you'll have the same exact fabric as I got with my yarn. the key with gauge (as long as you are using a yarn that is equvalent weight as originally used) is that regardless if it took me a size 8 needle and it takes you a size 10 needle, ifyou are getting the gauge, your fabric will be the same as mine

Also, it might be wise to do a "fake round" gauge swatch, that will mimic how your in-the-round knitted every row) gauge will be. to do that, cast on the stitches to a circular needle, knit across, then instead of turning and purling back, you'll slide all the sttiches to the other end of the nedle, LOOSELY loop the yarn across the back, and knit across the stitches again. Keep repeating that, and you'll wind up with an all-knit stockinette swatch that will tell you what your in the round gauge will be :

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I redid the swatch on size 9 needles (I had done in the right way on the size 8s, I just didn't say it very clearly in my first post), and I got 19 stitches per 4 inches (instead of 18), and 26 rows instead of 24. Is this close enough? You were right, it wasn't as airy as I thought it would be. I hope I don't have to go up to size 10s!

Thanks!!

Lex

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
they'll be a smidge smaller than they are *supposed to* if you knit them with that gauge, so that's up to you. or just add a few stitches and a few rows, you know?

·
Registered
701 Posts
You could always try changing needles again to get teh right stitch gauge (which I think is more key row gauge). If you haven't bound off your swatch, just change needles and knit another 2 inches or so and see if things are on target.

Also, waving hi - this is amey with Daniel and Nico, friend of Erin and Alisha. I'm excited to see you pregnant again!

~amey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts