Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used probiotics, garlic, gse, echinacea, vitamin C, etc before this stupid test and I am still positive. My over-emotional self broke down in the docs office today when they old me. I explained to him all the problems I had last time and he decided to try a different, less broad spectrum antibiotic on me that is an every 6 hour thing instead of every 4. He felt that with my labors, I would probably get only one dose although they like to see 2 (I'm all for having less). It means a lot to DH, especially, since we know people who have had babies infected with GBS, so we are willing to do this (we'll, willing may not be the right word...).

This puts a bit of a crimp in our plans to avoid the Vitamin K injection. I did buy oral vitamin K in case we felt like it was needed, and I know that antibiotics can increase the need for vitamin K. I am curious if the oral form would be AS effective as a shot. Does anyone know of any studies pertaining to this?

This is hard for me. Intensely emotional. I was determined to avoid having to deal with this issue by natural means and it failed and I know that many here avoid the whole thing, but DH and I have fallen into the category of the low percentage a few times and we know that someone has to be in those numbers and we aren't willing to chance things. Not with our baby's health.

TIA!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I don't have a link handy, but you could probably find it fairly easily- I read at one point that using antibiotics for GBS does NOT reduce the chance of death. Other bacteria fill the void and death is just as likely, but from different organisms (e. coli increases off the top of my head)

For this reason and others I choose not to test for GBS as I would not accept antibiotics without other risk factors.

-Angela

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't have a link handy, but you could probably find it fairly easily- I read at one point that using antibiotics for GBS does NOT reduce the chance of death. Other bacteria fill the void and death is just as likely, but from different organisms (e. coli increases off the top of my head)

For this reason and others I choose not to test for GBS as I would not accept antibiotics without other risk factors.

-Angela
I don't have any facts on the vitamin K. I had some of the links on the abx Angela might have been referring to.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/pr...n/group-b.html

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html#Lavage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.