Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm still debating whether to test or not. I think I will since in WA they have to treat you as positive if they're unsure.... So twist my arm, why don't you? I have to make up my mind by Tuesday at my 36 week appt.... Tick tick tick tick tick :confused

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm still debating whether to test or not. I think I will since in WA they have to treat you as positive if they're unsure.... So twist my arm, why don't you? I have to make up my mind by Tuesday at my 36 week appt.... Tick tick tick tick tick :confused
My midwife said I should get tested because in the case of a hospital transfer I'd be considered gbs positive unless it was documented otherwise. It wouldn't change how we handled the homebirth. So, I figured there wasn't harm in taking the test.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke with mine about it at my last appt. and she left it up to me whether or not to test. She had a good point that even if I tested +, it's highly doubtful I'd have time to take abx anyway and since I'd be at home most likely, it's doesn't make much sense to even bother.

My home visit is Tuesday and I can do it then if I want....still undecided as I don't what what I'd do differently if I tested +.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'll probably take it, I dreamed last night that I did and she was culturing it at a desk somewhere in her office (which is weird because she works out of her house). I have to decide by tomorrow. Since they pretty well twist your arm, I almost feel like I have to....

·
Registered
45 Posts
The midwife I had with my last two didn't force it but she strongly encouraged moms to do the test. What harm is there in knowing? She said if I were GBS+ she would just give an IV with the meds right at home if I agreed. She had a mom whose baby got very sick after birth from the GBS and I'm not trying to be scary but just putting this out there that the baby didn't make it. Personally, I would rather deal with the baby having gut issues later than the worst case scenario. Bit, that's just me.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The midwife I had with my last two didn't force it but she strongly encouraged moms to do the test. What harm is there in knowing? She said if I were GBS+ she would just give an IV with the meds right at home if I agreed. She had a mom whose baby got very sick after birth from the GBS and I'm not trying to be scary but just putting this out there that the baby didn't make it. Personally, I would rather deal with the baby having gut issues later than the worst case scenario. Bit, that's just me.
I wouldn't have time for an IV even at home...

Home visit in 1.5 hours! And I still need to eat, shower, and tidy up!

I think I'll ask for the GBS swab just to know and do the alternative protocol if it's +.

·
Registered
583 Posts
hmm, I am on the fence about this. The only reason I would do it is to get a negative result (using a prophylactic measure) in order to not have issues if we transport. I don't want antibiotics and I don't want any more issues to deal with in case of transport. However, all this being said, I think I will not do it. I'm out of town until my 36 week appointment and I just don't see myself getting it together while away to do anything.

I have started a probiotic regiment vaginally. I am loving it actually. That sounds weird I know. But, instead of preparing for a worst case scenario, preparing for the birth and health of my baby and tissues makes more sense to me! And it is in alignment with all the other stuff I am doing. Particularly staying out of fear and in strength. So many things to consider!

Good luck Mama's!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't do it. My midwife was pretty ho-hum about it. She just said it's so transient that she doesn't really see the point.

I've been eating a lot of yogurt, kefir (homemade, raw) and more fermented veggies. Nothing up the hoo-ha yet though, I probably won't do it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I'll swab for GBS but only because I'm curious and because the result would have absolutely no bearing on my decision-making in labour or birth! With my dd2 I lived in a community with very restrictive hospital protocols and the midwives were somewhat dictated by them as well so I swabbed so I had documentation of the negative result... It's so unfortunate to have to make any birth-related decisions from that place of fear! I've been negative all 3 times so far and have been doing tons of oral and some vaginal probiotics so hopefully there's lots of healthy competition there. :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I decided to, just in case of transfer. Test results today, NEGATIVE! Still taking my probiotics and such. I'm glad that's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm such a slacker; didn't test, haven't taken any probiotics, just trying to eat more ferments.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I think you'll be golden @Metasequoia. :) Fermented foods are even better than commercial probiotics when it comes to GBS as they'll lower your internal pH in addition to introducing the good bugs! And so much more delicious. :lol

Yay for a negative @MrsKoehn! :D I'm swabbing tomorrow. I'll be surprised if it's positive after 3 neg but you really never know!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you'll be golden @Metasequoia . :) Fermented foods are even better than commercial probiotics when it comes to GBS as they'll lower your internal pH in addition to introducing the good bugs! And so much more delicious. :lol

Yay for a negative @MrsKoehn ! :D I'm swabbing tomorrow. I'll be surprised if it's positive after 3 neg but you really never know!
My fourth was + after three negatives. :lol Oh well, didn't change anything. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone tested positive?
I've been negative the past 3 times, and really tested this time just in case I had to transfer. I used a hibiclens wash for 4 days prior. I just called to get the results, and she won't give them to me over the phone, said a nurse or midwife will call me back. Which makes me think it's positive :/ and now I can't stop worrying about it. I know it's ridiculous and I shouldn't worry until I have something to worry about, but I already had a rough night last night so I think this is just compounding that.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't test this pregnancy but last pregnancy (#4) I tested + after testing - the 3 previous pregnancies. We didn't do anything about it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Meta, did you worry about the "what ifs" and how did your brain cope? I generally don't make decisions based on being afraid of an outcome- I try to make the most educated, feels-right-to-me decision- but with this, I'm having a hard time (for some reason) calming my fear that something *could* go wrong. I think I am just anxious today, and that's all that's going on, but I'd love to hear how you made your decision and if you had any fear you had to deal with.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Meta, did you worry about the "what ifs" and how did your brain cope? I generally don't make decisions based on being afraid of an outcome- I try to make the most educated, feels-right-to-me decision- but with this, I'm having a hard time (for some reason) calming my fear that something *could* go wrong. I think I am just anxious today, and that's all that's going on, but I'd love to hear how you made your decision and if you had any fear you had to deal with.
I didn't worry about it and am not worried this time. Midwife says it can be + one day and - the next, so it's really a crapshoot for "catching it." She says there are signs you'd recognize and my last baby seemed fine all along.

Annnd all that anxiety for nothing- it was negative.
I'm so happy.
I'm so tired.
I'm so crazy!
I am soooo done being pregnant. Haha.
Ha! Enjoy the peace of mind!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts