Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that there is a whole thread/sticky on this, but being that I have a 2 week old in the sling and dd on the lap - my time is very limited. How I plan to read a book, is a whole nother post

I have picked up a few different books from the library, but they seem to be more for older children. Any quick suggestions for this age would be helpful.

Since having the little one, DD has been wonderful! Normal 2-3 yo behavior is present, but not a major problem. Really what i need is about 190% more patience & some tools to be more positive with her

I really feel bad for her sometimes because she has such an amazing vocab & is really advanced for her age that I have started to expect much more then she is capable of regarding behavior. ( or should have to do )

TIA!!!! Laura

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
One I LOVE for discipline for ages birth to 5 yrs is Becoming The Parent You Want To Be by Laura Davis (I think). The discipline advice is great- I highly recommend it- I got it from my library. And it's really easy to read a little bit at a time, which is really all the time you have when you have a newborn
It has specific advice for everyday stuff, and advice for common discipline "problems". It's very respectful of children.

I also liked Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. It's more philosophical than outright specific parenting advice mostly. kwim? But good, and it does have some specifics in it.

I like Loving Your Child Is Not Enough, but that's mostly for older kids.

Definitely get BtP if you haven't already. I think it will help a lot.

HTH

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deva33mommy
One I LOVE for discipline for ages birth to 5 yrs is Becoming The Parent You Want To Be by Laura Davis (I think). The discipline advice is great- I highly recommend it- I got it from my library. And it's really easy to read a little bit at a time, which is really all the time you have when you have a newborn
It has specific advice for everyday stuff, and advice for common discipline "problems". It's very respectful of children.

I also liked Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. It's more philosophical than outright specific parenting advice mostly. kwim? But good, and it does have some specifics in it.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a 2.5 yr old and am currently reading Playful Parenting. I'm really enjoying it so far and have found it to be a great reminder playful ways to make it through the trying bits of being 2.
I've been feeling out of patience lately and this has helped me to reconnect with dd and get back into the swing of things.

I also enjoyed Unconditional Parenting and highly recommend it. I wouldn't suggest it if you're looking for suggestions on how to handle situations/behaviours as it's more of a parenting philosophy book.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.