Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling a lot lately with my 18 mo dd's violent behavior toward other children (and everyone else for that matter.) It's reached the point where every single time she is playing with or near another child (playground, childcare, etc.) she will end up attacking the other child, sometimes for something pretty innocuous like standing too near to her. And she's a very strong, coordinated girl so she can really do some damage--she goes right for the face and scratches, pinches, and pokes--usually near the eyes.

I immediately separate her from the other child and I tell her that hurts, etc. (and often the child is crying hysterically, so she sees that, too) but this does not seem to make much of an impression. I get that some of this is developmental (both the lack of empathy for others' pain and the lack of interest in sharing/playing well with others) but at the same time, the violence is really getting to be a problem and I'm concerned she'll hurt someone.

The mom who takes her for childcare twice a week is very interested in beginning timeouts with her for this. I'm hesitant about timeouts, but I do admit that there is a real problem here and we should do something. Any ideas for something more GD/CL?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts