Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I posted on your other thread that I thought you handled the situation well. Now I'm chiming in to say that I've stood between my ds and other children more than once to create a physical barrier in situations like trying to take things from him or if he and the other are getting undesirably physical. I'll state to the other child that my ds doesn't like that and then insert myself between them. I'll explain to my ds what I think the other child's intentions are putting a positive spin on it, affirming feelings, etc. I maintain a calm, friendly demeanor when I do this.

Recently, I left a store because an older child, maybe 7, was teasing mine, who is almost 4. It was a thrift store and the other child (oldest of 4, apparently) was holding a remote control car which my ds wanted to see/have. My ds had seen it earlier and discarded it because it didn't work, maybe just needed batteries. When the older child noticed ds was interested, he walked away, then started running when my ds started following. He was not simply trying to get away, he was holding the toy in sight of ds and slowing down if ds wasn't keeping up. He even set it down at one point and ran and got it when my ds started approaching it. After reminding ds to remember to walk a few times, I grabbed him when he got close enough and told him that we were not allowed to run in the store and he needed to remember to walk even if other kids were running, then we left and I explained that the big boy was teasing him and reminded him the toy didn't work. All this happened in the space of a few minutes. I had seen the boy teasing a younger sibling similarly a little earlier. In this situation removal from the situation seemed the best bet since the other mother wasn't stepping up to do anything and my ds was ready for a nap.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.