Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I think you handled it fine. Generally when I have to intervene on behalf of DS I say something along the lines of "Please stop tickling/pushing/harassing DS, he doesn't like it. Thank you." That seems to work most of the time, and I don't feel like it oversteps any boundaries. Usually though the intervention is over sharing toys in a common space like at the library or something, and that makes me more uncomfortable because then I have to hang around and actively mediate the interaction. I'm not that great at that, anyway, and it always makes me feel like I am on thin ice.

One time last winter I was at the play area at the mall. DS was playing on one of the things they have to climb on, and another kid came over and climbed on it too. DS was going through a very agressive, possessive stage and tried to push the other kid off. I was watching and started walking over to intervene - I was maybe 10 steps away. The other kid's father was standing right there when it happened, and before I could get over there he got right in DS's face and started shaking his finger at him and saying, "No! You don't push! No!" in this really stern voice. I got there and picked up DS and he was *still* doing it, while I picked him up! I was like, "I can handle this, thanks," and walked away to have a little chat with DS - we ended up leaving soon after, partially due to DS's behavior and partly because that guy really ticked me off. So, long story short - don't do what that guy did, lol.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.