Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reflecting that I've come a long way as a momma and its soooo paying off.

DD (5 y.o.) has always been a pretty easy kid overall, but I definitely spent a good deal of time and energy making us both miserable engaging in constant power struggles and trying to force my will and my ideas on her.

For the last year or so, I have been making such a concerted effort to back off and really let her have her say and make her own choices and give up the desire to have control over her and its working so dang well!

She makes smart choices way more often than not. She's gaining such a developed sense of cause and effect. I see her thinking things through, weighing pros and cons when she's making a decision. Its too cool.

Yesterday evening we went to the park. As we walked up we noticed that the big sprinkler device was on. It had been really hot all day, but there was a cool breeze and the water from the sprinkler is freezing. DD asked if she could go in. I told her it was up to her and she headed towards it and then turned around and siad "Ya know, we don't have a towel with us and I'm going to get cold walking home. I'm not going in it today, but let's remember to bring a towel with us next time." And then she ran off and played happily. What was so great too was that my dad was visiting and he witnessed the whole thing. He was so impressed!

I watched other parents frantically running after their kids to keep them out of the sprinkler and shouting at them when they got wet and kids unhappy and a lot of them wet and shivering. Gosh, its just so much easier this way!

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonahsmom

I watched other parents frantically running after their kids to keep them out of the sprinkler and shouting at them when they got wet and kids unhappy and a lot of them wet and shivering. Gosh, its just so much easier this way!

Yay! Really happy for you (and Dd!)
I agree... I see parents having those kinds of struggles around me often. Of course I can't judge what's up in their lives just by those instances, but I do feel really thankful that I don't have the power struggles in our lives. Peace is so much more my deal lol. Congrats Mama.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Yay!

Really, that is just so cool. It's so rewarding to see the progress, isn't it?

So to share a similar success...DD went to bed late last night, and has been tired and cranky all day. DH was ready to take her out with DS so I can have a break. When I told her she needed to use her potty before she went out, she started to lose it 'nooooooo! don't want to sit on my pottyyyyyy!". I calmed her down by hugging her and saying "you don't want to sit on your potty? okay..." which got her listening a bit. Then I said "well, you are going out soon and you will need to use the potty before you go, what would help you?" she wasn't sure...she just repeated she didn't want to use the potty. so i made some suggestions "I could read you a story, or play a game, or we could wait five minutes and then go". She said 'wait five min" and I thought, yeah this is just procrastination, but when five minutes was up she got on it wiht absolutely no complaints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts