Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a pair of fingerless gloves and it's time to shape the thumb gusset.

Instructions say to:
Row 1
25, inc in next stitch, k2, inc in next stitch, k21-52 sts.
Work 3 rows
Row 5: k25, inc in next stitch, k4, inc in next stitch, k21-54 sts.

What kind of increase do I use? I know how to do a bar increase, would that be appropriate?

Also, 'work 3 rows', meaning work them the same as the row above? SO do 4 rows total with the same increase and then start row 5? Or 1 increase row and knit 3 rows?

Thanks...I'm at a standstill and feeling frustrated.

~L.
(where in the world did the little knitting smilie come from? Weird.....)

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
What it's telling you to do is to do one increase row and then knit 3 rows plain: so you're increasing once in every four rows.
As far as which increase, use whichever one you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it! Thanks...I did kfb and it looks great!

Sadly..I'm stuck again.

After the increasing the pattern reads:
Row 19: k39, turn and cast on one st.
**Row 20: P14, turn and cast on one st.
Work 6 rows on these 15 sts only for the thumb, ending with a RS facing for next row.
Cast off.

Cast on 1 stitch? eek! I've run into this on other projects and have always given up because I cannot find clear direction on exactly what I need to do to cast a stitch on in the middle of knitting. I've got 39 stitches on my left needle, and the remaining stitches on my right. Working yarn hanging from my right needle. How do I create a loop and to what needle dose it go on?

I think I understand the working 15 stitches to make the thumb if I could get started.

Thanks!!
~L.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cable or knit cast on or a backwards loop.

If you do the backwards loop, make it on the right needle before turning. The others would be done after turning.

You wouldn't want to use backwards loop if it were asking for more than a few stitches because it stretches out so much but for one stitch you don't have to worry about that

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay...

I made it past THAT problem and on to my next one. The thumb is complete
:

Pattern says:
Rejoin yarn, pick up and knit 4 stitches from the base of thumb, k to end.

Trouble is I can't really distinguish my knit stitches at the base of the thumb. I see where this is taking me but don't know how to get there.

Got any really clear links that will take me through step by step both rejoining the yarn and picking up stitches? I know how to join the yarn, but to put the two together I'm baffled!

Thanks!
~L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.