Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Our situation maybe different than yours but DH and I saw a geneticist prior to conceiving because DH had 2 mentally challenged/autistic children with his first wife. We wanted to see if his youngest and only living child had any genetic abnormalities that could possible explain why his children were this way (such as fragile x). The geneticist asked DH about his family's history of these type of problems -- did any of DH's siblings have autistic/mentally challeged children, etc. The doctor reviewed some of DH's son's medical records and genetic tests that had been run years ago. Everything genetic wise was normal - no additions or deletions. He then gave DH's son a physical exam to look for physical abnormalities. The doctor really wanted to run some genetic tests on the mother of DH's sons (DH's tests were normal also) but we didn't feel comfortable asking her to be tested because we didn't want her to know we were contemplating having children together. All in all it was a very easy process. Because DH's ex-wife wasn't tested, the doctor couldn't give us many answers but it was enough to make us feel comfortable with going forward with making a baby together. BTW, she is the light of our lives right now and doesn't appear to have any delays or problems like her brothers did.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
We knew DD had a genetic condition since about a week after she was born, but her genetics appointment basically includes the regular weight, height and head circumference, paperwork to fill out about family and medical history, questions about development, physical examination and notations about any "dysmorphic" features and possibly measurement of things like ears, space between eyes, etc.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Courage is the main thing you must bring IMO. Genetics can sometimes tell secrets that are difficult to face. Be prepared emotionally. Make sure your partner is prepared as well and that you two have a good understanding what each other do and do not want to know... remember that the geneticist 'thing' is to find answers though your blood, there are 'councelers' involved too but the geneticist is a scientist at heart who likes to figure out riddles... if you don't want the answer or only part of the answer you can always say no...

If you/they know what thy are looking for specifically then it's basically blood work then just being prepared to accept the results, whatever that takes for you... just your partner, or family, friends, clergy, the guy on the corner... us folks here! that can talk you through some of your emotions and help you understand what it all means.

If it's looking for the needle in the haystack type of testing... talk to your family and your partners family, try and get a list together of blood relatives that have any abnormalities, even slight, things that might of been odd that usually isn't talked about. Any miscarrages, stillbirths, young deaths... diseases and sicknesses.

I wish you luck and I hope you find or don't find what you are looking for!

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
With DS, they just did a prick on the foot to get blood, they knew what they were looking for though so there was no official councelling session. When I was a kid and my mom took me in for genetic tests I remember it being a lot like a regular dr's apointment and a blood draw. Having a support person is probably a good idea though.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My son was born with birth defects. No one can tell us anything. He's been to two geneticists! You also need to be prepared to not get answers as that is a possibility too.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
Courage is the main thing you must bring IMO. Genetics can sometimes tell secrets that are difficult to face. Be prepared emotionally. Make sure your partner is prepared as well and that you two have a good understanding what each other do and do not want to know... remember that the geneticist 'thing' is to find answers though your blood, there are 'councelers' involved too but the geneticist is a scientist at heart who likes to figure out riddles... if you don't want the answer or only part of the answer you can always say no.
Ditto ditto ditto. Some of what they have to say is hard, like super hard because you already know what you know, like there is a reason the genetic testing is being done, and now they are going to tell you what you don't already know.

Again, ditto about them being scientists first. Although they can deal with some compassion, to them its totally different. Puzzles and blood, not your child.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.