Mothering Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry but is the sole purpose of materniT21 to detect down's.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/life..._make_people_with_down_syndrome_a_rarity.html

There are so many wonderful people with downs, I think it's very misunderstood. Or maybe I am misunderstanding. I would *never* allow downs to change my course of action. I really hope I'm misunderstanding.

For anyone who wants to know more about Trisomy 21 (downs) there's an awesome documentary called Monica and David. Trisomy 21 might not be what you think. :'( sadness

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sorry but is the sole purpose of materniT21 to detect down's.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/life..._make_people_with_down_syndrome_a_rarity.html

There are so many wonderful people with downs, I think it's very misunderstood. Or maybe I am misunderstanding. I would *never* allow downs to change my course of action. I really hope I'm misunderstanding.

For anyone who wants to know more about Trisomy 21 (downs) there's an awesome documentary called Monica and David. Trisomy 21 might not be what you think. :'( sadness
I believe it tests for more, @Viola P. Here is a quote from the MaterniT21 website:

"What does it test for?
The MaterniT21 PLUS test reports on fetal chromosomal abnormalities; from common (trisomies 21, 18 and 13) to rare (sex aneuploidies, trisomies 16 and 22, and select microdeletions), all of the information that we report is clinically relevant. Sex chromosomal aneuploidies (X and Y) are reported in singleton pregnancies only. Sex chromosomal aneuploidies and microdeletions / duplications / additional trisomies will be reported as additional findings."

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry to post and run. This baby will be born around my 38th birthday. I honestly don't feel the need to anymore than I did with my child born around my 21st birthday. I would not treat the information differently. While I can understand the desire to prepare, I think that I would spend so much of my pregnancy stressing out and in disappointment, that it would be better for me to find out while I still have the labor hormones going through me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe it tests for more, @Viola P. Here is a quote from the MaterniT21 website:

"What does it test for?
The MaterniT21 PLUS test reports on fetal chromosomal abnormalities; from common (trisomies 21, 18 and 13) to rare (sex aneuploidies, trisomies 16 and 22, and select microdeletions), all of the information that we report is clinically relevant. Sex chromosomal aneuploidies (X and Y) are reported in singleton pregnancies only. Sex chromosomal aneuploidies and microdeletions / duplications / additional trisomies will be reported as additional findings."
Exactly. It tests for many things that would be incompatible with life (a category to which I do not include Down's). Trisomy 18 for example, can cause death within a short time of birth, and generally within the first year after much suffering.

·
Registered
940 Posts
What I find really bizarre, personally, is that the risk of losing a baby from the amnio-based procedures can be as high as the chances of your baby actually having the issue they are testing for :(. Not worth it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What I find really bizarre, personally, is that the risk of losing a baby from the amnio-based procedures can be as high as the chances of your baby actually having the issue they are testing for :(. Not worth it.
Yeah I never understood that either! My friend was thinking about doing that and I was like "what if it kills the baby and when they test the fetus I turns out it was healthy?" Just doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I personally know a woman who was talked into an amniocentisis for AMA... She was 39. Her perfectly healthy baby boy died as a result. :( It was a horribly sad situation and she deals with guilt to this day. It has given me a different perception of some of the tests, for sure.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I personally know a woman who was talked into an amniocentisis for AMA... She was 39. Her perfectly healthy baby boy died as a result. :( It was a horribly sad situation and she deals with guilt to this day. It has given me a different perception of some of the tests, for sure.

That is SO so awful.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Yes, the Maternit tests for more than downs but honestly, I think if people are not wanting a child with down's then it is their prerogative. Thanks for the link too. Some of us may not have the skills to actually have a special needs child .it is okay to test and it is okay to test and not want to continue with your pregnancy if that is what you decide. I just want us all to be able to post our thoughts without being judged and not understood, right?
My last pregnancy I was pregnant with twins. One twin had trisomy18. We didn't get to choose. Our baby died in utero at 22 weeks. I will never forget him.
Oh I almost forgot. That is what makes the Maternit test different is it is non invasive and you simply go to a lab and have them draw blood... From your arm. No risk to your baby.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes, the Maternit tests for more than downs but honestly, I think if people are not wanting a child with down's then it is their prerogative. Thanks for the link too. Some of us may not have the skills to actually have a special needs child .it is okay to test and it is okay to test and not want to continue with your pregnancy if that is what you decide. I just want us all to be able to post our thoughts without being judged and not understood, right?
My last pregnancy I was pregnant with twins. One twin had trisomy18. We didn't get to choose. Our baby died in utero at 22 weeks. I will never forget him.
Oh I almost forgot. That is what makes the Maternit test different is it is non invasive and you simply go to a lab and have them draw blood... From your arm. No risk to your baby.
I would never advocate that women shouldn't be able to decide what to do with their bodies.

When it comes to downs I think there is a ton of ignorance out there. People wth downs live long, full, healthy lives. I think a lot of people view it as catastrophic but to me it's just a variation of normal, similar to being albino (which is also genetic)

ETA: I think the parenting skills are the same - patience, love, consistency, attentiveness - maybe just more.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I would never advocate that women shouldn't be able to decide what to do with their bodies.

When it comes to downs I think there is a ton of ignorance out there. People wth downs live long, full, healthy lives. I think a lot of people view it as catastrophic but to me it's just a variation of normal, similar to being albino (which is also genetic)

ETA: I think the parenting skills are the same - patience, love, consistency, attentiveness - maybe just more.
Glad to know that.
I think for some people just may not have the "more" ability.

My dh and I were discussing not even doing the testing at all because we have the energy and the " more" if it came to that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I shall be 3 weeks away from my 45 th birthday, if and when this baby is born. It will be my 5th child. At 38 I had the nuchal translucency scan and the Ob gave me a thumbs up and smile. Yesterday he went quiet and wouldn't say anything other than I should get the blood test done ASAP. I gave blood at the lab this morning and now wait. Apparently I do not get given the results (I can access results to my blood tests normally) and the Ob will contact me in about 10 days.
Personally I am not distraught at the thought of trisomy 21 at all, but I would prefer to be prepared, and to gather information. However it really scares my husband and is a current issue between us :(
I have other health issues which are threatening this baby much more than Trisomy 21 as I have Lyme disease. Worst case scenario, other than mc or stillbirth, is a genetic disorder With congenital Lyme. That would be so unfair to a child.
The tests can only give a risk assessment though, so until birth, we cannot really know for sure can we? I do not support amniocentesis as my SIL lost her baby boy immediately following the procedure.
Without doubt my dh and I are not currently on the same page and it is upsetting

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I shall be 3 weeks away from my 45 th birthday, if and when this baby is born. It will be my 5th child. At 38 I had the nuchal translucency scan and the Ob gave me a thumbs up and smile. Yesterday he went quiet and wouldn't say anything other than I should get the blood test done ASAP. I gave blood at the lab this morning and now wait. Apparently I do not get given the results (I can access results to my blood tests normally) and the Ob will contact me in about 10 days.
Personally I am not distraught at the thought of trisomy 21 at all, but I would prefer to be prepared, and to gather information. However it really scares my husband and is a current issue between us :(
I have other health issues which are threatening this baby much more than Trisomy 21 as I have Lyme disease. Worst case scenario, other than mc or stillbirth, is a genetic disorder With congenital Lyme. That would be so unfair to a child.
The tests can only give a risk assessment though, so until birth, we cannot really know for sure can we? I do not support amniocentesis as my SIL lost her baby boy immediately following the procedure.
Without doubt my dh and I are not currently on the same page and it is upsetting
Big hugs to you and prayers. I will be 5 weeks from my 45th when this baby is born. I will have the first trimester blood screen 2 weeks from today and baby's father and I are definitely not on the same page either. He has a niece with Down syndrome and has seen the challenges his sister has gone through with moving to find better schools for her daughter. I had an uncle with Down syndrome and I saw the full life he lived. He died at 70 about 4 years ago. So, that does not scare me either.

I do understand that you have other health concerns, and again, am sending light and prayers your way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Big hugs to you and prayers. I will be 5 weeks from my 45th when this baby is born. I will have the first trimester blood screen 2 weeks from today and baby's father and I are definitely not on the same page either. He has a niece with Down syndrome and has seen the challenges his sister has gone through with moving to find better schools for her daughter. I had an uncle with Down syndrome and I saw the full life he lived. He died at 70 about 4 years ago. So, that does not scare me either.

I do understand that you have other health concerns, and again, am sending light and prayers your way.
Thank you, and the same to you too xxx

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Oh I'm sending you hugs [email protected]!
My doctor has just ordered the kit for MaterniT and I will be taking it in two weeks. Part of me knows everything will be fine but I just want to know and prepare if the universe gives us a special,needs baby. I too am an older mom.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Heading down to the genetic testing unit of our local hospital this morning. I figure the blood test is non-invasive and risk-free, and my husband really wants some kind of reassurance, so I compromised on my tendency towards minimal invasive procedures that can, I think dominate the process if we let them. He's 45, I'm 38, so we fit the criteria (if you buy the risk discourse). Anyway, intuition tells me all's well, but I'll admit some nervousness heading in this morning. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Oh, good luck, @forestlover75! How long do you have to wait for results? I hope it's a short and painless wait, and, of course, that you get entirely boring results.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Heading down to the genetic testing unit of our local hospital this morning. I figure the blood test is non-invasive and risk-free, and my husband really wants some kind of reassurance, so I compromised on my tendency towards minimal invasive procedures that can, I think dominate the process if we let them. He's 45, I'm 38, so we fit the criteria (if you buy the risk discourse). Anyway, intuition tells me all's well, but I'll admit some nervousness heading in this morning. Wish me luck.
Trusting all went well! I go tomorrow morning. But, of course, I was there today. Preggo brain has fully kicked in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had 1/3 of my testing done so far. NIPT isn't offered here standard for screening and costs upwards of $800 out of pocket. The province will pay for integrated prenatal screening since I'm 35, which is a serum screen at 10ish weeks, a NT US at 13ish weeks, and another serum screen after 15 weeks. So I've done the first blood draw and my NT scan is scheduled for next week. I'm super nervous, but I know I won't be given the results until after the second draw at 15 weeks. They don't apply the algorithms for risk until all 3 tests are in :( It's tough to wait! I'm confident that there won't be any problems, but you never know!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts