Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am overwhelmed with all the new possibilities for genetic testing. This is my second go round so you'd think I know what to expect, but I'm still questioning what extra (non-invasive) tests, if any, we want to pay for. My OB was talking about Maternit21 and this full carrier panel yesterday. Curious what tests, if any, you all are planning on getting?

·
Registered
203 Posts
My OB's advice is this: If you find out less than stellar news, would it make a difference in what you do with your pregnancy?

We had genetic testing before we conceived our first. My husband's sister has cystic fibrosis, and we wanted to know if he was a carrier (he is not). I will be getting the panel at 11 weeks that looks for the trisomy disorders - and if those came back positive, I would probably terminate (all but Downs result in death in the first few days to first year, if not stillborn).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with FluffyFlamingo, but we are on the other side of the coin. We would not terminate if we had a poor diagnosis, so I can't rationalize the expense and testing.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No plans on genetic testing, because, like another poster said, it won't affect how much we love and want this baby. But if I qualified for coverage for the maternity21 test,without having to pay for it, I would get that one. I have followed the research papers and development studies, and am fascinated by the idea of drawing my own blood and, without needing an ultrasound, know a myriad of things about the baby. Including gender. I probably would not get the test for other babies but just once, it would be fun for my inner geek.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much does the testing cost cash if your insurance doesn't cover it? Ask some birth centers if they offer it bc many times they have contracts with labs that have a lower cash rate.

I'm with you though...I'd rather terminate than carry to term and watch my child die in my hands or give birth to a stillborn.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how much the Maternit21 is, I've heard as much as $2,000 without insurance (!!). I know insurance does not cover it in CA unless you are over 35, or have already had an in-depth U/S around 12 weeks that shows reason to believe baby might test positive.

The carrier panel is $99 and helpful to know in general, more of a one-time thing just to know what you're carrying. We are moving to TN when I'll be 13-14 weeks and I'll be seeing a midwife, right now I see an OB in LA who I trust but is definitely more on the conventional side of things.

Wanted to get feedback from some like-minded mamas about what their plans for testing are. I might do the carrier panel and then hold off on the Maternit21, just do the regular trisomy tests I had done the first time around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We just met with our midwife and will not be getting any genetic testing done. We would have done MaterniT21 if it was covered so we could find out the sex early. DW is only 29 so it would cost us 995 out of pocket.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I will be doing the Maternity21 test in a few weeks. We just lost our insurance and I know exactly how much Quest is going to charge me because I am a midwife and have an account. 2200 bucks. I plan to bill myself, not my practice, and fight it out with Maternity21 who, I am told, will lower the price for the uninsured or ineligible.

I am older and we would probably terminate the pregnancy. I would rather know that at 11 weeks rather than 20. I think cell-free DNA testing is really interesting and exciting and a great screening option.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've never heard of this new test. It does sounds interesting to do just to see what it says overall. I wouldn't terminate based on a test though so it would be pointless to me that way. I never do any of the genetic testing though but it's a personal choice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I will be doing the Maternity21 test in a few weeks. We just lost our insurance and I know exactly how much Quest is going to charge me because I am a midwife and have an account. 2200 bucks. I plan to bill myself, not my practice, and fight it out with Maternity21 who, I am told, will lower the price for the uninsured or ineligible.

I am older and we would probably terminate the pregnancy. I would rather know that at 11 weeks rather than 20. I think cell-free DNA testing is really interesting and exciting and a great screening option.
I saw somewhere that they legally can't charge more than $350 for it, even though they will bill over 2K for it. Do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I think i'm going to do genetic testing, just as long as it's covered by my insurance, and I think it is. Part of the reason being that if there were a reason to need to terminate the pregnancy, i'd like to find out, and also as a forewarning of any future issues. I'd also love to find out the gender, so I think it's worthwhile for me to test, as long as it's covered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't get any testing done. I would never terminate and would cherish every moment with my baby even if s/he were going to die in utero or shortly after birth.

Reactions: colomomma

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We wound up getting the Panorama test after all (at 10w3d) - the doctor and nurse both assured me it only costs $25, regardless of age. They said if the insurance tries to bill more, then to wait for the bill from the actual testing company. I was pleasantly surprised! I also got a carrier panel done for $99, mostly because I'm curious what kinds of traits I may be a carrier for (deafness, etc). Last time I believe they only tested for some biggies, cystic fibrosis & I can't recall what else.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Yeah, I found out that progenity will only charge me $25 if my insurance refuses to pay. I say that's a pretty dang good deal. I'm waiting on the results. I should know something for sure by my next appointment.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I'm a nontester too.
I have the 20 week biophysical ultrasound done so if there was a heart condition etc we could line up surgeons. Too many issues, false positives, even with amnio, cvs the mc, fail rates, injury, infection...nah.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am only ever interested in the non-invasive testing. Amazing how much they can tell from a simple blood draw now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had false positives with 2 of my pregnancies doing just the 20 week U/S. It is super scary and a lot of needless worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are not testing, same reason as the earlier posters since it wouldn't change how we feel about continuing to carry the baby.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
We are testing, but only because I would rather know ahead of time and be able to educate and prepare myself. We would continue the pregnancy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts