Mothering Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I am actually tempted by the new testing but it would mean seeing a traditional provider and I'm not sure I am up for that. From my limited reading, it looks like the false positive rate is not as high as some other screening methods. I don't want to do testing that causes stress but am not opposed to having more information for being prepared.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The false positive rate for the blood tests that look for chromosomal abnormalities have a less than a percent of false positive rate. They are quite reliable.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@xixstar You don't have a midwife that would do the testing? My midwife's office did.
@FluffyFlamingo Yeah I have heard really good things about the new tests. My midwife was sure to educated me on the old tests first, so i'd have a good idea of how the new ones compared to the old. I figured it couldn't hurt since they're so much more accurate these days.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I ended up making an appt with a traditional provided. My state has become very hostile towards homebirth midwifes and she wasnt able to order labs for me. I also wanted the basic blood panel and apparently will need a proof of pregnancy to get the birth certificate this time (didn't need that the last two times).

I am hoping it will be easy to get the newer genetic testing done and it isn't too expensive. We have a high deductible plan and are paying the midwife out of pocket too. Kinda nervous about this appointment because I am not use to traditional offices and am not sure in what is involved in as usual visit and what I might end up declining. For being very confident in my faith in pregnancy and birth, almost feel silly to be nervous.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@xixstar That truly sucks. I'd be nervous too if I had to up and change providers just to get proper bloodwork done. I'm lucky that my state has such a wide selection of midwives and that they're treated as regular OB's in my state. I don't think any woman should have to sacrifice proper prenatal care just to have a homebirth. It's not fair. *hugs* I hope you are able to get the tests you need done and that you don't have to pay too much out of pocket!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
So, I just got the call from the midwife's office, and got my test results! Everything was negative, which is wonderful news. I now finally know the gender. Not at all what I expected. I'm having a girl! I thought for sure since this pregnancy was so different that it would be a boy, but nope! I guess what everyone says about every pregnancy being completely different is right! I can hardly wait to tell hubby. He's asleep right now (he works nights) so i'll have to wait till he gets up. Now at least I can tell everyone what they can start buying for me if they want to, lol. I also know at least 1 person with a little girl, so I may be able to get hand me downs, which is wonderful. My DD is going to be so pleased to hear the news. She wants another sister so badly (her birth father has another little girl).

Anyone else finding out the gender through testing?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The appointment went fine - but to do the genetic testing they refer out to another office. So if I want to do that, I would need to make another appointment. I think I'm giving up at this point as I am not that dedicated to finding out more. :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I just had the finger prick done this morning after my u/s. Baby looked adorable and perfect, and we'll have results soon. I've always been squeamish about blood and needles, but geeze. I got so dizzy after the finger prick, I had to keep sitting down with my head between my knees! Wtf! This of course triggered dry heaves, because pregnancy!, all in the office building. *awkward* haha. Luckily I was in the bathroom for the lovely dry heaves.

Totally a reasonable reaction to a simple finger prick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Finger prick?! :scared What test was that?1 I don't want that one... I don't do well with sharp things near my fingers. I have scars on my fingers from accidental cuts. I'm a big baby when it comes to finger pricks. I'd rather have my blood drawn. :dizzy

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
It's for Down's syndrome testing. I can't believe how strong my reaction was to it!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I should add, it really didn't hurt that much, and I didn't watch her squeeze the blood out onto the paper. I blame my husband, who stood next to me going "whoa that's a LOT of blood" and "don't look at it!". He likes to mess with me

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I can't even prick my own finger for tests, let alone let someone else do it! lol. I once went to school for medical assisting and they had this lancet that was covered. You just line the thing up and press down on a button and it does it real quick and you don't see it. It was the only way I was able to do that finger pricking part. It still freaked me out though.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I think that's what she used, but I didn't look lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am hoping it will be easy to get the newer genetic testing done and it isn't too expensive. We have a high deductible plan and are paying the midwife out of pocket too.
I opted for a high deductible plan this year for several reasons. I called the testing company that my OB uses to see if it was covered. Because I have the high deductible plan, I will have to pay for the test in full ($800) because I haven't met my deductible yet. If I had, then I would only have to pay $200. It will all come out in the wash eventually, I figure - just means we'll hit the deductible sooner than expected. :D Check to see which test your provider uses and give them a call.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I opted for a high deductible plan this year for several reasons. I called the testing company that my OB uses to see if it was covered. Because I have the high deductible plan, I will have to pay for the test in full ($800) because I haven't met my deductible yet. If I had, then I would only have to pay $200. It will all come out in the wash eventually, I figure - just means we'll hit the deductible sooner than expected. :D Check to see which test your provider uses and give them a call.
Unfortunately our midwife is not in network so it is a balancing act of figuring out what I want to pay extra for. It'll all come out of the HSA account, but what I spend on testing simply reduces what is available for the midwife. We haven't had any claims towards our deductible the past few years since well child visits are now covered. Today's appointment will be our first claim and probably our only claim this year.

I might still call this other office - but it just didn't make sense that the OB's office couldn't just order the test themselves - I didn't think it was that new and fancy a test and sounds like several people in their office opt for it.

Looks like I'm too late to the NT test (didn't want it anyways as I don't so ultrasounds unless needed) so seems like it should have been easy enough to order with all the other blood work.
http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'm making sure to get most of the tests this time around (except invasive ones) mostly to put DH's mind to rest. He's so worried about the baby being ok. I'm even getting the 20 week ultrasound even though I know the gender just so they can do a full checkup and make sure everything looks fine. I think it will help with his fears. He is a twin, and when he was born his sister took all the nutrients for herself (funny, the trend continued through his whole childhood :irked) and he ended up malnourished and frail. When he was born he was small, couldn't keep a temperature, and struggled to breathe. He still struggles with Asthma from time to time to this day. He's got it in his head that if he doesn't make sure i'm in perfect health the whole way through, that his child will end up just like that. Of course i'm not even pregnant with twins, but there's no changing his mind on this matter. The least I can do is try to show him with tests that his baby is doing just fine.

I hope you ladies are able to get the tests you need to put your mind at ease. They say there's nothing better than peace of mind right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the MaterniT21 blood test done although we will be paying $200out of pocket for it. My oldest child has 22q deletion syndrome which wasn't diagnosed until she was almost 2.5 years old because her symptoms were relatively mild. I think finding out earlier would have given us time to work through the reality of having a special needs child. Fortunately everything came back normal this time around and we are delighted to be having a little girl.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@maybesparrow Congrats on the little girl! It's just girl power in here so far isn't it?! So glad to hear everything is normal this time. Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well too. :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts