Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part, DS and I have a really wonderful nursing relationship. That said, it seems like lately he just dissolves if I can't nurse for as long as he wants or at the exact moment he asks. In recent months, however, I have been able to set SOME limits. Like I say, "We're not going to nurse right now, mommy needs to do X" or "We can nurse in a little while", etc. Sometimes he's okay with these limits and other times, like today, he just loses it if I cannot nurse at the exact moment he needs to.<br><br>
What has been your experience setting limits with your nursing toddler? Do you even have limits? Is there an alternative way for me to be stating that we can't nurse at the time? For the most part ( I would say 75% of the time), if he wants to nurse, we nurse. But at this stage, I just can't nurse all day long. I'd love to hear your experiences. TIA.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Andrew is 15 mo and I can stall him 2 or three minutes by saying yes, when I'm done... if I maintain some sort of physical contact with him. If I turn away he loses it. He asks by touching my collarbone with one finger, but if he's reaching up I can tell he's trying to. However, if we're not at home he barely ever asks and will take a 'no' without any fuss at all. Go figure?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Gee, I guess I never really thought about it, but DS isn't so great at taking "no" for an answer. I have to distract him big-time. He's not very subtle about it, either - he will climb up on my lap and start pulling up my shirt pretty much any time I sit down. So I usually end up leaving a wailing todder sitting alone on a chair/couch unless I can figure out something that would be more attractive to him at the moment.<br><br>
He totally dissolves if I have to unlatch him before he's "done". Usually I'll promise him a cookie or a video or something, since he'll wail like he's been deserted forever if I don't find something to take his attention.<br><br>
My basic thought, though, is that he can nurse pretty much whenever he wants provided I don't have something I need to be doing (like taking something out of the oven or balancing the checkbook or whatever). Since I'm not trying to train him or anything, I rarely refuse him. I do fairly frequently make him wait, but it is because, for example, the letter needs a stamp and then we can nurse, or I have to put this in the oven and then we can nurse, or I need to finish folding this load and then we can nurse. I make sure to always just finish what I need to do and then we go nurse if I've promised it to him, even if he's forgotten (I want him to know that when I tell him "in a minute" we really will be getting around to it, I just need him to wait).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts