Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Gee, I guess I never really thought about it, but DS isn't so great at taking "no" for an answer. I have to distract him big-time. He's not very subtle about it, either - he will climb up on my lap and start pulling up my shirt pretty much any time I sit down. So I usually end up leaving a wailing todder sitting alone on a chair/couch unless I can figure out something that would be more attractive to him at the moment.

He totally dissolves if I have to unlatch him before he's "done". Usually I'll promise him a cookie or a video or something, since he'll wail like he's been deserted forever if I don't find something to take his attention.

My basic thought, though, is that he can nurse pretty much whenever he wants provided I don't have something I need to be doing (like taking something out of the oven or balancing the checkbook or whatever). Since I'm not trying to train him or anything, I rarely refuse him. I do fairly frequently make him wait, but it is because, for example, the letter needs a stamp and then we can nurse, or I have to put this in the oven and then we can nurse, or I need to finish folding this load and then we can nurse. I make sure to always just finish what I need to do and then we go nurse if I've promised it to him, even if he's forgotten (I want him to know that when I tell him "in a minute" we really will be getting around to it, I just need him to wait).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.