Mothering Forum banner

George Allen's America: Whom it includes, and whom it doesn't

314 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  lotusdebi
Quote:
Let's consider which positive, constructive or inspirational ideas Mr. Allen had in mind when he chose to mock S.R. Sidarth of Dunn Loring, who was recording the event with a video camera on behalf of James Webb, the Democratic nominee for the Senate seat Mr. Allen holds. The idea that holding up minorities to public scorn in front of an all-white crowd will elicit chortles and guffaws? (It did.) The idea that a candidate for public office can say "Welcome to America and the real world of Virginia!" to an American of Indian descent and really mean nothing offensive by it? (So insisted Mr. Allen's aides.) Or perhaps the idea that bullying your opponents and calling them strange names -- Mr. Allen twice referred to Mr. Sidarth as "Macaca" -- is within the bounds of decency on the campaign trail?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081401114.html
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
WHAT?? Allen sounds crazy and dim.

Edited to add: I would have loved to hear his campaign staff try to come up with macaca meaning mullet!!!
That is disguisting.
Quote:
What's absolutely frickin' hilarious about this is that the guy he was talking about is actually a native-born Virginian, while George Allen is a rich kid who grew up in Southern California.

But why anyone is surprised, I'll never understand. This is the same guy who (A) was involved in an incident involving racist graffiti in high school and (B) thinks a noose and a Confederate flag make for acceptable interior decorating.
See less See more
here's some info from dailykos about this:

macaca or macaque? this is a french word for monkey. Also used as a racial slur toward Arabs or N.Africans. Hmmmm, did you know that Allen's mother is of French heritage from Tunisia?

Did you know that macaca is also found on N.American & european *********** websites as a slur use against l.brown people? So, it's a supremecist code-word, not nonsense jibbrish he made up.

One last tidbit, Allen is born & raised in CA. not VA, so why where a confederate flag lapel pin in his HS year book photo? Why have rebel flags on his car? Not exactly a Cali kids heritage. Oh, but the noose he had hanging from his ficus tree in his law office? Just a decoration to go with the "wild west" theme.
uh-huh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainLaurel
What's absolutely frickin' hilarious about this is that the guy he was talking about is actually a native-born Virginian, while George Allen is a rich kid who grew up in Southern California.

But why anyone is surprised, I'll never understand. This is the same guy who (A) was involved in an incident involving racist graffiti in high school and (B) thinks a noose and a Confederate flag make for acceptable interior decorating.

I admit, I have no idea who this guy is, but how can he be allowed to spew this stuff onto the public???
See less See more
I've seen this guy on Meet the Press and other news shows. I would tell you what I think of him but I don't think even the UA would look kindly on me just prefacing it with "It's my opinion".
scary scary dude. And the repubs are really considering putting him up in 08? Please say it ain't so (or rather, please tell me it is, there is no way that guy could ever win, right?)
Senator apologizes for `Macaca' remark
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15284462.htm

Quote:
He insisted he was referring to America outside the Beltway, and that he made up the word Macaca, which is a type of macaque monkey.
riiiiiigggghhhttttt
Quote:

Originally Posted by mara
scary scary dude. And the repubs are really considering putting him up in 08? Please say it ain't so (or rather, please tell me it is, there is no way that guy could ever win, right?)
Apparently, his own sister thinks the same thing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/0...n_n_27382.html.

Throwing his kid brother through a sliding glass door? Breaking another one's collarbone?

As for there being no way he could ever win, I remember a lot of people saying that in 2000 about another sociopathic bully (who used to blow up frogs by sticking firecrackers up their ass and shot a sibling with a BB gun).
I just got a MoveOn email about this and had to re-read it make sure it wasn't a joke.
Wow, just wow.
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts