Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm using a hemp/cotton blend canvas and I want to use a gesso to prep it. Can I put gesso, watered down, in a spray bottle and just do it that way? Or do I really need to 'work it into fibers' for it to work right? I used to use pre-prepped canvas, but have switched to the hemp blend for obvious reasons (not bleached, supporting the hemp industry, won't mold, great stuff!) so it's total raw and unprepped. I painted on a canvas recently without gesso and every time I need to paint something I have to wet it with water or it just doesn't glide.<br><br>
Also, are there any eco-friendly gesso's out there? Like non acrylic? thanks!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hm, I really don't think you could spray it on, the application wouldn't be even and I don't think it would be worth the time you save. Besides, to water it down enough you would still need lots of coats. You should apply 2 coats at least anyway, sanded, to get a paintable surface. The first you can cut by 1/2. You can use a roller to save time, but it uses more gesso of course. Try using a really big brush.<br>
As far as gesso alternatives, I don't know of any other options- other than making your own ( a very labour intensive process) or oil-based gesso. The key is the acylic componant anyway, so it's not permeable. What medium are you painting on top with?<br>
A

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
someone wanted me to paint on a hemp bag that they had, so it's like painting on raw fabric - I thought that the gesso might make it too stiff

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
hmmmm... not sure.<br>
are you painting the entire thing? it wouldn't wash that well if it was all gessoed either.<br>
I use a gel medium to paint on fabric- it's a bit more pliable ( and clear). You could try that.<br>
A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts