Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited about breastfeeding! The advice and support I've gotten here has really made a difference for me! Thanks so much, I love this board!
Since I'm so excited, and I want it to go really well, I'm wondering what I can do to make sure I have pleanty of milk right from the start. I've been having a little leaking from my right breast (clear and sticky)-nothing from the left yet-but this is exciting for me and encouraging 'cause I know my body is getting ready.
I am wanting to buy LLL's book, but can't for a few weeks yet, so I'm wondering if you have tips to share on nourishing my body for a great supply in advance. Of course I'm eating for baby right now, so I'm having lots of water, I've also read oatmeal helps, any other foods/drinks that can help me get off to a great start?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think the absolute most important thing you can do is nurse nurse nurse, early and often to establish a strong "baseline" supply. This is especially critical for Moms that work out of the home that will need to pump, since the pump is not as efficient as the baby you almost need a stronger supply than you would if you were a stay at home mom.

From what I have read the first 2 to 4 weeks are critical for setting (so to speak) your baseline supply. So if you run into any difficulties with a baby that is sluggish for any reason (jaundice, drugs during delivery, etc.) or if your baby has a poor latch, or just happens to be a "nip and napper" then it is especially important that you place as much demand on your supply as possible. For Moms that work out of the home that might mean pumping between nursings.

Certainly you can take substances that boost supply (oatmeal, fenugreek, etc) if you need them but --in my opinion-- it is better to establish a strong supply through BF'ing "management" since you may still wind up needing supply boosting substances.

I speak from experience since DD1 was jaundiced, slightly sluggish and not a vigorous nurser. Even once she got over the jaundice and gained some weight she was a "nip and napper". So my supply was an issue. However, since she nursed through my second pregnancy and we now tandem nurse, the extra demand DD1 put on my supply made it much easier to pump at work the second time around.

Good luck, ~Cath

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Don't worry about foods and drinks right off (other than just getting enough) Worry about keeping baby at the breast in the first weeks. Plan to co-sleep. Plan to get nothing else done for awhile. Plan for baby to want to suck (on you) ALL the time.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I agree! No matter what, nursenursenursenursenurse.

It works better than anything else. Then, later if you need to do some work on getting supply up again for a reason like donating to another mom, then you can supplement with tea, fenugreek and blessed thistle. I would only supplement if you are having supply issued, though. Eat as much as you are hungry, drink as much as you possibly can, and nurse that baby!

Enjoy these last few days of your own time!!! You'll love being a mommy!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I totally agree with the pps. Nurse, nurse, nurse as much as you can. Plan to do nothing else. You body will definately tell you what you need to feed it. I would also say to try and rally a supportive team of people to have around you becuase it can be very difficult in the beginning and the more supportive others are, the easier it will be for you to stick with it. This helped me so much!

I think it's great that you are looking forward to nursing. I am excited for you! It's a great experience!

·
Registered
439 Posts
ITA with pp's.

Be prepared for your little one to cluster feed in the first couple days - that's not because he/she needs a supplement, it's because she's trying to get your milk in.

Also, be prepared to get incredibly hungry right after delivery. Have some food packed to bring with you & get lots of protein. Your body needs the protein to repair your body tissues after birth and sometimes that can hamper your milk coming in if there's a lot of repair your body is focusing on. (Hopefully not, but just putting it out there.)

I agree with not worrying about supps and whatnot. Most women truly don't have supply issues as long as baby has a good latch and they nurse on demand. Learn your babies subtle hunger cues & don't wait until he/she is crying - by that time she's overhungry. That will make a big difference in how often they nurse, and will result in you having a bountiful supply.

Oh, and the fluid you have leaking is colostrum.
Babies first happy meal.
(meant to be funny, not that I'm saying McD's is something to look forward to.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.