Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Ok, My DD1 is 4 years old and in a private Montessori School. She has some serious sensory issues and we have been trying to get her an OT eval for a long time. We filled out the consent paper work with the school district (through her private school) last spring and nothing ever happened. We did it again in October. The school district's ST even signed off on the fact that she really needs an OT eval. We've still heard nothing. It was my understanding that they were supposed to come last week, and didn't. In the meantime, our insurance changed and we are now able to see a private OT. She had her eval last week and qualified for OT just for fine motor issues, but the therapist was sure she'd qualify for sensory issues also (though she had not scored the sensory profile yet). So, now she is going to private OT once a week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ok, there's the background. Here are my questions:</p>
<p>1) Can she still be evaluated by the school district?</p>
<p>2) How do I get them to actually do the evaluation?</p>
<p>3) Is it possible that she would qualify for services with the private OT but not through the school district?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am in Georgia if that makes any difference.</p>

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
<p>1) Yes, she can still get the OT eval through the district.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2) I hate to say it, but be the squeaky wheel (in as nice but direct of way as possible) with the district and let them know that you know your rights.  Even if your dd attends private, you still pay taxes.  You could offer helping to accommodate them and bring her to them.  Provide as much documentation to them - from you, the school, the SLP, etc. - to help them understand the extent of her difficulties and how they impact her life.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>3) She might not qualify in the school district, even if she qualifies for private.  I can't speak for everywhere, so I will try not to use blanket statements.  I have worked in one district where the OT's were great and took on many kids and needs, but I have also worked in districts that avoid qualifying most kids for direct OT services, offering consultation at best for most kids.  Many school districts are not equipped to work with sensory difficulties like a private OT (if you've ever taken a look at the private OT gym, you know what I mean).  They might be able to help consult with you and the teachers regarding accommodations, modification, sensory diet, etc. (which is reasonable to me because of the extent of equipment and space a therapist would need to do really effective therapy for each individual child), but the likely won't be able to do the direct therapy like she gets in private.  As for fine motor, the cutoff can be different for school-based versus private, also.  Oftentimes, students who are able to perform, with reasonable ability, tasks of daily function, or who can do tasks well enough for the eval (but who may not have the endurance to perform them to the expected level through the day) will not qualify because they are <em>able</em> to do them.  There might need to be significant documentation from the school that her difficulties with the fine motor and the sensory impact her school performance and daily life.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps.  I am not familiar specifically with Georgia law, but this has been my experience in a couple of different states, and federal law dictates that the schools do the eval, at least.</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts